RODI storage in the Florida sun

Reefer AJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there has been several threads already on RODI and saltwater storage but does anyone have experience with storing in 55 gallon brute trash cans outside in Florida weather. My RODI unit is outside connected to one of my hose outlets to save space inside. Currently I just make as needed but am tired of making it all the time. So I’m thinking of getting the 55 gallon and making batches instead but am worried about plastic leaching into in the heat. Anyone know if this would be safe or not

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the UV will make it brittle which means something is getting broken down. I know from experience that a brute can in the Florida sun will become brittle, it'll take awhile but our sun is on a whole different level in south Florida. Look at a globe South Florida is the same latitude as North Africa.

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there has been several threads already on RODI and saltwater storage but does anyone have experience with storing in 55 gallon brute trash cans outside in Florida weather. My RODI unit is outside connected to one of my hose outlets to save space inside. Currently I just make as needed but am tired of making it all the time. So I’m thinking of getting the 55 gallon and making batches instead but am worried about plastic leaching into in the heat. Anyone know if this would be safe or not
I know you’re asking a question but I would like to know if you don’t mind, how long have you had the RODI system installed outside and have you seen any negative effects in performance or material. I’m thinking of installing one outside in a small laundry room that has no AC.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the UV will make it brittle which means something is getting broken down. I know from experience that a brute can in the Florida sun will become brittle, it'll take awhile but our sun is on a whole different level in south Florida. Look at a globe South Florida is the same latitude as North Africa.
So the expression, "hot as Africa" hold some weight here..

OP
OP
Reefer AJ

Reefer AJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re asking a question but I would like to know if you don’t mind, how long have you had the RODI system installed outside and have you seen any negative effects in performance or material. I’m thinking of installing one outside in a small laundry room that has no AC.
I have had my RODI system hooked up to the outside hose outlet for about the last 6 months. I did this to declutter one of my bathrooms. Given summer just officially began here last week and we are just barely approaching some of our hottest days, however it has already been very hot lol. The unit itself has had no ill effects, I am still showing a pressure gauge reading of 53 after the membrane and the water itself still comes out with 0 TDS read by a reader. My unit is currently on the north side of the house so it doesn’t get as much direct sunlight, however I will be moving it to the south side of the house hose port as this will provide me easier access to run a line into my garage which is where I have decided to keep my brute trash and full of rodi storage. After not a ton of replies here but conducting my own research I wouldn’t suggest just leaving big containers of rodi and salt mix outside long term in high heat temps (hence why mine will now be stored in my garage which is temp controlled). That is my suggestion just based on what I found of potentials for plastic leakage overtime especially adding in saltwater plus higher temps it just doesn’t seem like a smart idea. As far as the actual rodi unit itself I believe that will be okay to be placed outside longer term and here is my reasoning, 1. The small amount of water that is left in the canisters after the fill is complete would probably be negligent if a small amount of contaminants leached into it from the heat, 2. The main components filtering the products are generally replaced between 6-24 months so at worst serving through two summers and at best not even one summer 3. The unit itself is much smaller then the storage containers so it is much easier to install a shade unit (which I will be doing) which would drastically reduce the amount of UV breakdown. As for your original question no ill affects so far with mine being installed outside :)

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Houston. Same heat and humidity as FL. (Begin the “FL is hotter. No TX is hotter” debate. LOL)

I have my system outside in one of those “trash can” sheds. Works perfect for storing water, mounting my RO/DI system, and storage for WC hoses.

When it is WC time, if the water is too hot, I throw in some ice packs and let the heater and ice battle it out to 79 deg.

Attachments

• IMG_4582.jpeg
    IMG_4582.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4583.jpeg
    IMG_4583.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 32

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Houston. Same heat and humidity as FL. (Begin the “FL is hotter. No TX is hotter” debate. LOL)
Sounds like you get it. You sir have been on the internet long enough to know how this goes. Lol.
But Florida is hotter and more humid. We are surrounded be water and closer to the equator. But Texas is no joke either..

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back