Water storage solution

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to improve the way I’m doing water changes and storage. Have a couple of questions though.

1) I live in Florida and my RODI unit as well as all other things pertaining to water going into my tank are in the garage. I’ve had saltwater in my brute with a pump running in it for about a week (no heater) and the amount of evaporation on the lid of the can and the sides of the can is huge, haven’t tested salinity but I really don’t need too because it goes without saying it’s way high. How do you combat this? Answer is probably right in front of me and I’m missing it. I only would like to keep on hand 10 or so gallons as I’m only doing 10% changes on a 40g.

2) when looking at most people water storage they’ll have an RODI tank connected to the saltwater tank with a valve in the middle. I’m sure this is to be able to open the valve and the pressure differential from the full RODI tank allows water to flow in the empty or less full saltwater container until they are equal, is this correct?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) when looking at most people water storage they’ll have an RODI tank connected to the saltwater tank with a valve in the middle. I’m sure this is to be able to open the valve and the pressure differential from the full RODI tank allows water to flow in the empty or less full saltwater container until they are equal, is this correct?
Or the pump moves the water.
I don’t do that. My valve is on the rodi output. I can fill my mix tank and with a flip if a valve I can fill my top off tank. I have my apex turm on my rodi for a short period of time to make up for daily use/evaporation of the top off tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condensation on the lid and walls means the water is staying in the container. I think you'll find the impact on salinity perhaps less than you imagine. Only so much can coat the walls and top before dripping down.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back