Mold on Saltwater Storage Lid

  • Thread starter Thread starter bneal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bneal

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Messages
20
Reaction score
12
Location
Oxford
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had an issue with mold growing on the inside of the lid for their saltwater storage?

I’m using grey brute trash cans for both my fresh RODI water and my saltwater. The fresh doesn’t seem to have any mold but it doesn’t have a heater in it. The salt does and forms condensation on the inside of the lid due to the temperature difference between the water and the ambient air in my basement. Has anyone else had an issue with this?
 
Has anyone had an issue with mold growing on the inside of the lid for their saltwater storage?

I’m using grey brute trash cans for both my fresh RODI water and my saltwater. The fresh doesn’t seem to have any mold but it doesn’t have a heater in it. The salt does and forms condensation on the inside of the lid due to the temperature difference between the water and the ambient air in my basement. Has anyone else had an issue with this?
What type of salt and are you sure it’s Rodi being used ?
 
I’m using instant ocean and yes it’s RODI. I have a 5 stage RODI filter.
 
I’m using instant ocean
It might not be mold, Instant Ocean is notorious for leaving a nasty brown slime behind in the mixing bucket. I'm thinking this is what you're seeing 🙂
 
I have many grey brutes in many situations (ro/di,,new salt water with normal IO, and sumps, and do not have any mold on lids or sides.
 
It might not be mold, Instant Ocean is notorious for leaving a nasty brown slime behind in the mixing bucket. I'm thinking this is what you're seeing 🙂
I'll take a look in a week or so, but it honestly looked like little black circles like you would see with mold.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new