Rollermat hack..?

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Compact Rollermat and I have had problems ever since my second roll install. Oh I just love it and it is so simple and works Absolutely fantastic, but the fact is any of the replacement rolls made by any manufacturer are not up to par, as they use-up extremely way, way, to quickly. Anyone that has one knows this! And this probably happens on all other brands of rollermats as well. Most everyone of them are 50 Micron replacement rolls. I have been doing some real homework on DYI replacement rolls. I have found just about the exact same material used on all rollermats (water cooler paper for instance). You can buy a Ultra-Thin Polyester Filter Fleece in 50, 60, 80, or 100 micron and it's "FDA Compliant 21 CFR 177.1630" for the food industry. 30" wide x 150' foot long fleece and it is $87.09 plus freight say even $100 landed. It is 30" inch's wide ÷ 4 inch's wide cut's (for my size roller) = 7.50 rolls with 1/2 inch extra on one side. Now if I take the 7 rolls that are 4 inch's wide and 150 feet long, then cut into 50 foot lengths. That will mean I will get "21 ROLLS" in total at a cost of $4.76 per roll.. 5 rolls at 6 inch's wide with others.. and so, on and so on. Does anyone do this and why the heck don't they? Instead of being locked into 50 micron you can have your choice of yes 50 micron again (for cheap less the packaging), or 60, 80 or 100 micron... I going to by a roll and cut it 80 micron... Has anyone tried this before? I would like to hear from anyone that has done this or tried to at all.. Thanks

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I have been doing some real homework on DYI replacement rolls. I have found just about the exact same material used on all rollermats (water cooler paper for instance). You can buy a Ultra-Thin Polyester Filter Fleece in 50, 60, 80, or 100 micron and it's "FDA Compliant 21 CFR 177.1630" for the food industry. 30" wide x 150' foot long fleece and it is $87.09 plus freight

I assume you are talking about the filter fabric from McMaster Carr
- Don't assume it is reef safe. Food Safe and Reef Safe are not the same.
- This type of fabric achieves porosity by making it thinner. The 100 micron is .007" thick. That is pretty thin. I am not sure what the tear strength is.
-McMaster is typically not the cheapest for any given product, by a long shot, it is just convenient.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are talking about the filter fabric from McMaster Carr
- Don't assume it is reef safe. Food Safe and Reef Safe are not the same.
- This type of fabric achieves porosity by making it thinner. The 100 micron is .007" thick. That is pretty thin. I am not sure what the tear strength is.
-McMaster is typically not the cheapest for any given product, by a long shot, it is just convenient.
Thanks Bean that is exactly where I started looking.. To a tee, lots of people have reported both making and using DYI rollermat's. None have reported ANY problems after months and months of use... That being said, I am in on this 100 cent. I ask "Just why won't anyone be?" There are so, so, many DYI - Hacks that work absolutely fantastic! I have built just huge diatoms that work like no other, one of the best fish traps for under $10, a inline water wheel setup (best mechanical filter I have ever seen anywhere) and jaw dropping unbelievable sumps with underwater lighting, ect.. ect.... I will work on these filters to the max. Most socks are 200 micron and they work fantastic for most reefers. I just now have a problem with buying a 50 micron roll that will deplete in just a month and a half or LESS as it is reported over and over, post after post. I have a 27 year 280 gallon reef tank set-up. Through the use of a diatom I do not have any signs of old tank syndrome at all... It's just fresh...! I am going to shop materials in depth and that advantage of $4.67 rolls of rollermat filter rolls... The original German Theiling rolls where out of this world, I venture to say probably the best rolls out there ever made. They where in fact extremely thin - extremely and lasted for months and months. They switched manufactures and it's been down hill ever since. The facts are every rollermat manufacture wants to sell rolls - why not? I would ! But I also am going to have a choice of 60, 80, or 100 micron filter as well. 150 micron would be the GOLD STANDARD I believe this to be true. I am investigating into this hard now. Keep all posted, any ideas, thought's, or experiences at all would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you Bean for your input, and happy reefing. :):)

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To a tee, lots of people have reported both making and using DYI rollermat's. None have reported ANY problems after months and months of use...
I don't think that is a good barometer, but is certainly a positive point. My concern with ANY commercial product is unknown chemicals used in manufacture (washing, sizing, lubricant, release agents, etc) that we don't know about and frankly, the distributor may not know about or be able to tell you about. That is why the McMaster product is iffy... it may be perfectly fine and it may not be.

Most socks are 200 micron and they work fantastic for most reefers.
Don't get too caught up in "micron" ratings. Some materials clog easily and "200 micron" quickly becomes "50 micron. While other materials do not clog as readily and continue to pass the smaller materials (expample, woven vs no woven materials). Other materials that degrade quickly or that are weak may pass larger particles than rated. That and depending on manufacture, some of these materials may not even by close to their rating to begin with.

I just now have a problem with buying a 50 micron roll that will deplete in just a month and a half or LESS as it is reported over and over, post after post. I have a 27 year 280 gallon reef tank set-up.
Sure - but the "50 micron" is taking out more than the "200 micron", all things being equal. So the question really is, which one is providing YOU the filtration that you need. If a larger sieve sized prolongs life by taking out less per given period, then sure. It may also be that leaving larger stuff is of some benefit. That I do not know. I am not a proponent of taking out "everything", as I feel it is removing the good with the bad. An alternative to DIYing filter materials would be to allows some controlled bypass of the filter.

The facts are every rollermat manufacture wants to sell rolls - why not?
You are going to find that almost every manufacturer in this niche is going to (MUST) find a healthy RMR based revenue stream or they will not survive. There are only so many roller mat units that can be sold and so many dosing pumps, lights, etc. The market is TINY and these companies need to find long term revenue. Consumable (especially proprietary) are the way.

Good luck in year search and trials, keep us posted!

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at precision converting for roller media. Steve is great @ helping reefers and it won't be a hassle like this will be.

I previously owned a theiling roller, personally hated it, A LOT.
Thank you...very well stated. I will do lots of homework on this for sure. As for my Theiling I have never had a problem ever... but once it stuck and it wound through half a roll over night... gezzzzzzz :)

Last edited:

schprock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the theiling roller mat for about 8 years. Does need some mods but I like mine.

Changes made
1. Plug in apex outlet to turn on for 10s every 30mins
2. Install a small cheap maxijet pump to blow up the detritus on the bottom
3. Change out from original rolls to precision converting. Works well for me. No issues with corals or fish. I tried the 10, 20 and 50 microns. 20 microns seems to work the best for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back