Rubbermaid structural foam tank as sump?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info

I’m considering doing this for when I do my 400g upgrade, as my current sump (a 125 converted) won’t have enough capacity for both my 180 and the new 400.

question though- how are you guys getting things like float sensors/ optical sensors in there for ATO etc? I have a IM hydrofil with the platinum probe sensors and i need a way to mount them

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info

I’m considering doing this for when I do my 400g upgrade, as my current sump (a 125 converted) won’t have enough capacity for both my 180 and the new 400.

question though- how are you guys getting things like float sensors/ optical sensors in there for ATO etc? I have a IM hydrofil with the platinum probe sensors and i need a way to mount them

I'm sure there are a lot of ways to address this issue. I have drilled holes in the top edge to attach various brackets, etc. for many different types of attachments (and sometimes additional holes for zip ties to secure items). Another thing to consider is that many of the new probe mounts, heater holders, etc. are coming with magnet attachments - I'm not sure if any of these are strong enough to work with Rubbermaid tubs.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating going with the rubbermaid stock tank 100 or 150 gallon to help with a tank transfer this summer. Moving a 75 gallon DT and 20 sump with equipment. Would need to hold the rock and livestock as well as skimmer and all other equipment in there.

Any recommendation on whether to go with the 100 or the 150? I'm guessing the 150 with all the added equipment that needs to go inside the tank. Skimmer itself probably takes up some room if I baffled it off from the rest of the stock tank. Was there a general recommendation on which size bulkhead should replace the stock 150 rubbermaid bulkhead? Are they generally just swapped OEM For the aquarium bulkhead or is any drilling required?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 or 150 is a good choice. 150 has a slightly larger footprint. Both are 24" deep, and take a schedule 80 1" bulkhead. I don't remember having to do any drilling to swap to good bulkheads for either size. Sharp pocket knife maybe.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. Any need for soaking them for a while before using them or just wipe it down with some water and vinegar? Might end up having to move an SPS dominant reef into one for a month or so.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. Any need for soaking them for a while before using them or just wipe it down with some water and vinegar? Might end up having to move an SPS dominant reef into one for a month or so.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 or 150 is a good choice. 150 has a slightly larger footprint. Both are 24" deep, and take a schedule 80 1" bulkhead. I don't remember having to do any drilling to swap to good bulkheads for either size. Sharp pocket knife maybe.
Is this the correct one you've mentioned? Looks like slip on the external part, which seems to be the better option to glue rather than threaded.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose, towel, rodi towel, done. Probably don't need to soak, but I'd wash very well. If buying in person I'd grab one from the middle of the stack to minimize dust on it. Sniff test too.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the correct one you've mentioned? Looks like slip on the external part, which seems to be the better option to glue rather than threaded.

Both the brs and saltwateraquarium brands fit the same in 1" schedule 80. Glue if you like. I run all threaded with no issues. The 150 gal won't require any fitting for the bulkhead, the 100 will. I remember using my knife on the 100.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed the 150 gallon stock tank today. Waiting on restock for the schedule 80 1" thread x thread bullhead, then I can get it prepped for the move! Thanks for the recommendations.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's main use from the bulkhead in the stock tank? I dont run any external equipment, and it'll act as a holding tank until I get the new one set up. Im wondering if it makes the most sense to plumb a jebao dc 15000 or 20000 to it and a few pvc returns into the top of the stock tank to just act as a closed loop return flow. Anything else other than just capping it off? I forget now if the jebao dc return pumps can run external or if it would need to sit inside.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the bulkhead I used. It is an absolute beast and at 3", it is gigantic. So it depends on what size bulkhead you want to use. The included bulkhead is a 1.25" threaded fitting. I used the included bulkhead and tied that into my skimmer output. The bulkhead on the front of the Rubbermaid tank on mine is the 3" one below. So if you replace the factory bulkhead (at least on the 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank) then you'll probably have to go bigger than 1.25", probably 1.5". But as Ca1ore said, you can use just about any of them. I prefer the Schedule 80 bulkeheads, because they have thicker gaskets on them, and I used a 1" schedule 80 and put it in the rounded corner of my sump for my Refugium overflow, and it sealed fine.

Banjo TF300 Polypropylene Bulkhead Tank Fitting, ...

I think I'm going to place the 1" Banjo bulkhead in my rubbermaid 150. Which type of fitting did you use to attach to the bulkhead itself? Matching sized NPT male thread to slip?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back