Rusalty "Mini turbo" snail species ID?

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance, does anyone know the species name of these snails?

I know that site is not very trustworthy, and has it's problems. I'm just asking about this snail.
They claim Collonista sp, but these don't look like any Collonista snail species I've seen. I don't have much faith that they actually know if it's Collonista or not.

Is there a snail expert on this site?

1665959065478.png

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust vendors for accurate scientific IDs, as they can get them wrong A LOT.
My best guess is a young lithopoma tuber, but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust vendors for accurate scientific IDs, as they can get them wrong A LOT.
My best guess is a young lithopoma tuber, but I'm not sure.
Yah, i’m skeptical of most, especially “rusalty”, but there’s always the off-chance they know something the rest of us don’t.

lithopoma tuber looks very different. This site claims they stay small, but also can’t trust that as well. The site has the world’s worst communications. Never got a response from a single email.

My guess is it’s from somewhere around Florida, as it seems that site just goes into the ocean, grabs whatever they find, and tries to sell it. Including swimming scallops, sand dollars, octopus, horseshoe crabs, tons of sponges, a bunch of weird snails, etc.
Not sure on the legality of what they collect as well.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like a moon turban snail (Lunella coronata), but that isn’t a Florida species, so probably not it. The genus likely is turbo, but I don’t believe it’s a collinista species as indicated.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could probably narrow the classification down to the family Turbinidae, or at least Trochoidea.

Gopmatt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, i’m skeptical of most, especially “rusalty”, but there’s always the off-chance they know something the rest of us don’t.

lithopoma tuber looks very different. This site claims they stay small, but also can’t trust that as well. The site has the world’s worst communications. Never got a response from a single email.

My guess is it’s from somewhere around Florida, as it seems that site just goes into the ocean, grabs whatever they find, and tries to sell it. Including swimming scallops, sand dollars, octopus, horseshoe crabs, tons of sponges, a bunch of weird snails, etc.
Not sure on the legality of what they collect as well.
I personally bought 25 of them and they are amazing they write themselves they lay eggs all over the place and I have babies they literally go above the water line they go everywhere I still have tons of them left actually if I counted them I probably have more than I began with their voracious appetite is more than a regular size turbo snail compared to size they probably eat more than a regular turbo snail and they're tiny about as big as your pinky fingernail and they are definitely sexually active but I have had no problems with them after acclimating I rinse them thoroughly with my own tank water put them in a separate tank for a week just to make sure there was no anything stuck to him as far as possible parasites or whatever and then I you know let them go and they've been in my tank since day one no problems I don't find them ever flipped over upside down I never find them stucker I never find them crawling on top of corals they actually are great at eating any algae that are on other snails as well I personally have to say that these snails are a home run pit they're worth the money I don't know what breed they are but I've had no problems at all they're all over my tank they're great at cleaning the glass

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally bought 25 of them and they are amazing they write themselves they lay eggs all over the place and I have babies they literally go above the water line they go everywhere I still have tons of them left actually if I counted them I probably have more than I began with their voracious appetite is more than a regular size turbo snail compared to size they probably eat more than a regular turbo snail and they're tiny about as big as your pinky fingernail and they are definitely sexually active but I have had no problems with them after acclimating I rinse them thoroughly with my own tank water put them in a separate tank for a week just to make sure there was no anything stuck to him as far as possible parasites or whatever and then I you know let them go and they've been in my tank since day one no problems I don't find them ever flipped over upside down I never find them stucker I never find them crawling on top of corals they actually are great at eating any algae that are on other snails as well I personally have to say that these snails are a home run pit they're worth the money I don't know what breed they are but I've had no problems at all they're all over my tank they're great at cleaning the glass
Sounds cool!

On a completely unrelated topic, can I have the name of your high school English teacher? ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back