S. Florida Ocean water quality these days….

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was warned by a cautious hobbyist that due to the die off caused by excessive heat this summer, (around Miami water has gotten to mid and upper 90”s)we should avoid using natural sea water directly from the ocean for our aquariums. The person who collects it has been doing it for a long time with no issues according to him.

Should we not use well collected unfiltered ocean water these days?

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reasons did the cautious hobbyist give for not using?
AS mentioned, due to die off (plankton, accelerated reef bleaching, fish etc) in the florida waters caused by depleted oxygen from excessive heat. Anyway accelerated die off is the reason according to him.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was warned by a cautious hobbyist that due to the die off caused by excessive heat this summer, (around Miami water has gotten to mid and upper 90”s)we should avoid using natural sea water directly from the ocean for our aquariums. The person who collects it has been doing it for a long time with no issues according to him.

Should we not use well collected unfiltered ocean water these days?
I would assume that its safe. Too much dilution to matter, unless there are any algal or nasty bacterial blooms. I would personally run it through a sponge to filter out debris, or let it settle out sediment if it looks off.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS mentioned, due to die off (plankton, accelerated reef bleaching, fish etc) in the florida waters caused by depleted oxygen from excessive heat. Anyway accelerated die off is the reason according to him.
This would be my concern, but not for sake of the nutrient levels given dilution, only the debris and dead micro organisms moving from decomposing in the ocean instead into a closed system. I would think micron filtering rhem out will more than suffice. Or may not be necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back