Sales tax in CA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to buy something on BRS, and in the past we have not been charged sales tax. Has this changed over the last week or so? I notice we are being charged sales tax now.....

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg.....I missed out on purchasing an APEX tax free. dang !!!!!!!

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-4-8_10-57-12.png

imjedi76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the people's republic of california.. governor is proposing a $10 tax increase per month for water.. soon we will be paying a tax to breathe here

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the people's republic of california.. governor is proposing a $10 tax increase per month for water.. soon we will be paying a tax to breathe here

Yep...CA taxes for ya =/ bummer.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they must have just changed it. i went to order an icecap 1k a couple of weeks ago, marinedepot and amazon wanted to charge sales tax, brs didn't. i prefer to order through brs anyway, but that's a bummer as i'm planning on spending a bit fairly soon

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats lovely California for you

U

User1

View Badges

May be joke and I'm not getting it but this is actually a state thing and not a federal although we can all blame South Dakota I think it was and the supreme courts decision. If my memory recalls correctly. I think California may have chosen a slightly different route though by placing some requirements around income by sales or something. That part I do not remember.

This tax doesn't bother me much. The other taxes being proposed such as on soda or mileage or tolls on some roads among other things is starting to wear on me.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be joke and I'm not getting it but this is actually a state thing and not a federal although we can all blame South Dakota I think it was and the supreme courts decision. If my memory recalls correctly. I think California may have chosen a slightly different route though by placing some requirements around income by sales or something. That part I do not remember.

This tax doesn't bother me much. The other taxes being proposed such as on soda or mileage or tolls on some roads among other things is starting to wear on me.

It wasn't actually South Dakota's fault per se. The supreme court had made it known that they were willing to reverse the prior decision if the right case was brought before them. Of all the pending cases in the county, the South Dakota case was felt to meet all the requirements so that was the one that was rushed to the supreme court. My understanding there is a "group" of states that have agreed to all the same rules where others have there on set of rules. For example, Texas will only require sales taxes to be collected if your sales are over $500k in the state over the previous 12 months. Sounds easy, but that is a rolling 12 months. So you could in theory have to collect in some months and not in other months depending on your monthly sales figures. Texas is also considering a set sales tax percentage instead of having to figure a state tax and local taxes.

Texas is requiring collection to start October 1, 2019. California started theirs April 2, 2019. A lot of states started Jan 1, 2019. I believe all states agreed they would not go retroactive for collection.

I also don't get the Trump picture.

U

User1

View Badges
It wasn't actually South Dakota's fault per se. The supreme court had made it known that they were willing to reverse the prior decision if the right case was brought before them. Of all the pending cases in the county, the South Dakota case was felt to meet all the requirements so that was the one that was rushed to the supreme court. My understanding there is a "group" of states that have agreed to all the same rules where others have there on set of rules. For example, Texas will only require sales taxes to be collected if your sales are over $500k in the state over the previous 12 months. Sounds easy, but that is a rolling 12 months. So you could in theory have to collect in some months and not in other months depending on your monthly sales figures. Texas is also considering a set sales tax percentage instead of having to figure a state tax and local taxes.

Texas is requiring collection to start October 1, 2019. California started theirs April 2, 2019. A lot of states started Jan 1, 2019. I believe all states agreed they would not go retroactive for collection.

I also don't get the Trump picture.

Thanks for clarification. I didn't remember all of the details. Tax is always a crazy topic, right? :D

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to buy something on BRS, and in the past we have not been charged sales tax. Has this changed over the last week or so? I notice we are being charged sales tax now.....

There were 26 states that started requiring sales tax be collected back in December, but a few joined recently. Like others have mentioned, we do collect CA state sales tax as of April 1.

U

User1

View Badges
There were 26 states that started requiring sales tax be collected back in December, but a few joined recently. Like others have mentioned, we do collect CA state sales tax as of April 1.

Didn't stop me from buying that Cor 20 you had on sale last week :) Now...if you can give military / troop ID discount, well, I'd buy you dinner and give you a hug!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something California has been trying to implement for ages. I used to work for an e-commerce company here in San Diego and we were expecting this to come through years ago. If there is ANYTHING California state government can tax you on, they will. If they can’t tax you directly, they’ll just make sure the oil refineries in the area all have issues simultaneously, driving gas prices in California (and only in California) higher than Hawaii’s, so they can claim more $$$ from gasoline taxes. Honestly, this state should look like Tomorrowland considering how much they take in and then waste on miss-managed projects.

U

User1

View Badges
This is something California has been trying to implement for ages. I used to work for an e-commerce company here in San Diego and we were expecting this to come through years ago. If there is ANYTHING California state government can tax you on, they will. If they can’t tax you directly, they’ll just make sure the oil refineries in the area all have issues simultaneously, driving gas prices in California (and only in California) higher than Hawaii’s, so they can claim more $$$ from gasoline taxes. Honestly, this state should look like Tomorrowland considering how much they take in and then waste on miss-managed projects.

Bullet train....

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...california taxes are awful. Even worse now the last couple years loosing some of our state/local tax deductions.

In other news, even though BRS started charging tax, I was able to buy an apex off another site which was still tax free. Phew....pretty sure they will all implement this tax code sooner or later so i took the plunge. But, was able to sneak in a quick tax free purchase. Lucky me saved around $80 bucks.

Hope this apex 2016 will be worth it !

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back