Salifert Alk Test and leftover reagent, reuse or throw away?

Reuse or throw away?

• Reuse

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Throw away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everybody do with the leftover reagent in the syringe after performing a Salifert Alk Test? The instruction manual doesn't specifically say whether to reuse or throw away. All this time I've been dumping the leftover reagent back into the bottle for reuse. Have I been doing something I shouldn't be doing all this time?

wizard261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everybody do with the leftover reagent in the syringe after performing a Salifert Alk Test? The instruction manual doesn't specifically say whether to reuse or throw away. All this time I've been dumping the leftover reagent back into the bottle for reuse. Have I been doing something I shouldn't be doing all this time?
Why ru drawing more then u need into the syringe

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why ru drawing more then u need into the syringe
I'm confused, my head hurts and now you really got me thinking. The instructions say to draw reagent until the lower end of the black part of the piston is exactly at the 1.00 mL mark. If a lesser amount was drawn wouldn't it throw off the result some? If my thinking is correct.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the unused reagent back into the bottle. I can’t think of any reason it would be tainted. Been doing it this way for over 9 years with no problems.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is simply Hydrochloric acid.

It does not go off or expire, so there is no reason to toss it unless it has been contaminated by dipping the syringe into the dyed water sample.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but just found this and have wondered the same thing.

I've been tossing the leftover reagent just out of concern for somehow contaminating the bottle. (Will probably start saving it from now on based on the thoughts posted here).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but just found this and have wondered the same thing.

I've been tossing the leftover reagent just out of concern for somehow contaminating the bottle. (Will probably start saving it from now on based on the thoughts posted here).

That discarding is required in a lab under some sort of quality control, but reefers can be more flexible. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back