salifert ammonia test reading

krayzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Im on day 6 of my cycle and im trying to read what this reading could be ?

I took it the photo in afternoon sunlight.

I’m thinking it could be 0.15 or 0.25 or even 0.

My nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 50-100 using salifert test kits

IMG_2827.jpeg

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, Saliferts should be viewed top down on the vials. I have the same issue with these type of colour kits as well, can't really differentiate the difference. Lol!

However seeing that your nitrites are at 0 and your tank is already producing nitrates, most probably your tank is cycled. What did you started off with (live rocks, bottled bac)?

Give it a day or two and test params again to ascertain before adding any livestock just to be safe. Do a water change to bring down nitrates once cycled, if needed.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i'd just give it another few days to be on the safe side but you should be good to go slowly.

I have never seen an ammonia test kit that I can actually read so for the latest build I stuck in a Seneye. Game changer!

OP
OP
krayzie

krayzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, Saliferts should be viewed top down on the vials. I have the same issue with these type of colour kits as well, can't really differentiate the difference. Lol!

However seeing that your nitrites are at 0 and your tank is already producing nitrates, most probably your tank is cycled. What did you started off with (live rocks, bottled bac)?

Give it a day or two and test params again to ascertain before adding any livestock just to be safe. Do a water change to bring down nitrates once cycled, if needed.
I used doctor tims one and only on day one but on my LFS advice I dosed quantum water stabiliser that has ammonia and nitrifying bacteria in it. ( I didn’t know that at the start)

From the back of the bottle

Water Stabiliser™ is designed to provide ammonium, complexed nitrogen, nitrate, phosphorus, beneficial bacteria & organic accelerants to cycle and stabilise the natural biological filteR”

So I did not follow Dr Tim’s schedule and dose ammonia since the bottle had it in it already.

I started off with dead rock and dead sand but put a few pieces of seeded rock from the LFS in the back of sump and in the display

OP
OP
krayzie

krayzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i'd just give it another few days to be on the safe side but you should be good to go slowly.

I have never seen an ammonia test kit that I can actually read so for the latest build I stuck in a Seneye. Game changer!
I’ve read so many posts that Brandon highly recommends the seneye over “cheap” test kits

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read so many posts that Brandon highly recommends the seneye over “cheap” test kits
I am unsure who Brandon is - but I do agree with him :cool:

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used doctor tims one and only on day one but on my LFS advice I dosed quantum water stabiliser that has ammonia and nitrifying bacteria in it. ( I didn’t know that at the start)

From the back of the bottle

Water Stabiliser™ is designed to provide ammonium, complexed nitrogen, nitrate, phosphorus, beneficial bacteria & organic accelerants to cycle and stabilise the natural biological filteR”

So I did not follow Dr Tim’s schedule and dose ammonia since the bottle had it in it already.

I started off with dead rock and dead sand but put a few pieces of seeded rock from the LFS in the back of sump and in the display

I can't vouch for the products, as I do not have any experience with them, but I can attest the pieces of seeded rocks has helped tremendously in supercharging your cycle.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is close enough to zero. Test again in a few days and if the water is more clear, then the trend is more important than the actual number.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to not use ammonia testing at all in reefing, and instead count the number of days a cycle has been running as compared to the ammonia line on a cycling chart to determine when the tank is ready to carry life. the bottle bac we add typically gets it done sooner than 10-12 days.

the reason I recommend seneye is so that hundreds of people can verify/spot check testless cycling to see it always works. if they own one and calibrate it on a running reef tank they'll be perfect cycle umpires for any challenge, but the meter itself isn't necessary to own for successful reefing. I myself will not buy one, too costly, but they're the best we have in my opinion for those determined to test or to spot check current rules in the cycling game.

for example: nobody who owns a calibrated seneye has seen any common cycling setup actually stall. all the 'stalled cycles' are just guesstimates at what a non digital test kit has to say.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back