Salinity, Alk, and CA

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some feedback on what I have come to understand about these three, and optimum levels of each in a reef aquarium.

I have been advised by a local coral farmer the following:

Keep salinity lower. 1.022-1.024. This allows Alk to remain on the higher end (10-12) which promotes faster coral growth. Having Alk higher also gives the hobbyist a time buffer if Alk slowly drops. Higher Alk will also lower CA, but having higher sustainable Alk levels is more important.

Do this jive with anyone?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that everything in the ocean has evolved to live within its natural parameters. That means an Sg roughly 1.026, dKh around 6.8, and calcium levels around 390 so I tend to keep my aquarium closer to those levels. There is a fairly wide margin where everything grows so absolutes are unnecessary.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer partly depends on what you are trying to do in your tank. Obviously for a coral farmer a primary goal is fast growth, but in my tank which is relatively well filled in now, faster growth just means more maintenance pruning for me, and I'd rather focus on coral health and stability and color.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some feedback on what I have come to understand about these three, and optimum levels of each in a reef aquarium.

I have been advised by a local coral farmer the following:

Keep salinity lower. 1.022-1.024. This allows Alk to remain on the higher end (10-12) which promotes faster coral growth. Having Alk higher also gives the hobbyist a time buffer if Alk slowly drops. Higher Alk will also lower CA, but having higher sustainable Alk levels is more important.

Do this jive with anyone?

Not really. i do not think lower salinity allows higher alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a higher salinity promote higher Calcium tendencies?

When you mix artificial seawater, the concentration of everything in it reflects the salinity.

Once mixed, and you are supplementing the tank, calcium is not particularly related to salinity except as it relates to calcium in the water changes (if any are performed).

OP
OP
PeaBrain

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you mix artificial seawater, the concentration of everything in it reflects the salinity.

Once mixed, and you are supplementing the tank, calcium is not particularly related to salinity except as it relates to calcium in the water changes (if any are performed).
So, no?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You asked a very vague question, and I tried to give an accurate answer:

"Would a higher salinity promote higher Calcium tendencies? "

what does "promote higher tendencies" mean?

So I answered as best I could. It can have many different answers at many levels of chemical understanding and chemical interpretations.

If I add sodium chloride to seawater, that will reduce the tendency to form calcium carboante precipitates by a very small amount. Too small to be noticeable in a reef tank, IMO.

If I raise salinity by adding magnesium sulfate, that has a bigger and possibly noticeable effect on the reduction in precipitation. If that means "promote higher Calcium tendencies" then it might be a tentative yes.

By the same notion, it also "promotes higher alkalinity tendency tendencies".

That was the basis of my negative response to your original suggestion that

"Keep salinity lower. 1.022-1.024. This allows Alk to remain on the higher end (10-12) "

I think the reverse is clearly true, although the effect is small. Higher salinity will allow higher alk (and calcium) to be maintained. In the extreme, the amount of alk and calcium that can co-exist in fresh water is very low.

OP
OP
PeaBrain

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Things are becoming a littler clearer now. I appreciate the time and effort.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back