Salinity Probe fails dry test - step 2

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Finishing up the set up of my new Apex 2016. Unfortunately, I can't get my salinity probe to calibrate. It keeps failing at step 2, the dry check. This is a brand new probe, straight out of the box. I tried disconnecting and trying again. Failed probably 5 times. I sent Neptune a support ticket. Anyone on here have any ideas?

Thanks.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it sit in your tank for a few days.
Then take it out and gently shake/pat it dry.
Doesn't have to be air dry, although you can use compressed gas to dry it as well.
If it still doesn't calibrate, could be a bad probe.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it sit in your tank for a few days.
Then take it out and gently shake/pat it dry.
Doesn't have to be air dry, although you can use compressed gas to dry it as well.
If it still doesn't calibrate, could be a bad probe.

So you're saying let it sit in the tank for a few days before trying to calibrate it at all? Then afterwards go through the calibration process? Just clarifying. Thank you. Neptune suggested to do the "Manual calibration" so trying to figure out what is best.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying let it sit in the tank for a few days before trying to calibrate it at all? Then afterwards go through the calibration process? Just clarifying. Thank you. Neptune suggested to do the "Manual calibration" so trying to figure out what is best.

Yes, it's always a good idea to just let a probe sit and 'season' for a while. Watch its number for a few days or a week. You can usually tell when the reading has become stable. Once stable, then calibrate.
I was going to suggest a manual calibration as well. In general, the automatic probe calibration procedures can make mistakes, most commonly moving on to the next step before the probe has truly settled.
Another thing is that the salinity probe in particular is very susceptible to electrical interference. So if you have the probe cord running along with power cords, particularly heater and light cords, that can cause problems.
Also - When calibrating, make sure that the calibration fluid is at tank temperature. I just make a little water bath in the sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's always a good idea to just let a probe sit and 'season' for a while. Watch its number for a few days or a week. You can usually tell when the reading has become stable. Once stable, then calibrate.
I was going to suggest a manual calibration as well. In general, the automatic probe calibration procedures can make mistakes, most commonly moving on to the next step before the probe has truly settled.
Another thing is that the salinity probe in particular is very susceptible to electrical interference. So if you have the probe cord running along with power cords, particularly heater and light cords, that can cause problems.

I see...thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try and separate the conductivity probe wire, though might be tough as they are all in the neptune probe holder. Will do my best!

I was just wondering if it takes that long to adjust, should I wait to take my PH and ORP numbers seriously as well? My PH is at 7.88, and orp is 188. My tank is currently on day 13 of cycling, but this seems kind of odd. Red Sea Coral Pro salt should be 8.2-8.4.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see...thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try and separate the conductivity probe wire, though might be tough as they are all in the neptune probe holder. Will do my best!

The other probe wires aren't a problem, it's power wires that you want to avoid. Heaters in particular because they're typically in the sump and draw a lot of current.

I was just wondering if it takes that long to adjust, should I wait to take my PH and ORP numbers seriously as well? My PH is at 7.88, and orp is 188. My tank is currently on day 13 of cycling, but this seems kind of odd. Red Sea Coral Pro salt should be 8.2-8.4.

I figure, the whole point of calibration is to get an accurate number. But the entire effort is doomed if the probe is still drifting.
You can tell when it's ready. It either reads one number more or less, or it cycles in a predictable way from day to day.
pH shouldn't take too long to equilibrate. Normally rises in the daytime and drops at night.
ORP probes in particular can take a good while to 'season'. But most people don't calibrate those anyway. (I have; it's tedious, and I don't bother anymore. )
Anyway, then it's ready to calibrate. That's how I approach it, anyway.

Could still be a bad probe, though. :)

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a ticket with Neptune. I recently just went through weeks back and forth with Neptune. With final conclusion, I had a bad probe. Their replacing it

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a ticket already with Neptune yesterday, they suggested manual calibration. After getting many replies though i just went ahead and put the probe into my tank last night. It's reading 44.8 ppt, clearly wrong, but its been consistent for about 12 hours. I think i'm going to just leave it in there a while and calibrate it after its consistent as many have suggested.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a ticket already with Neptune yesterday, they suggested manual calibration. After getting many replies though i just went ahead and put the probe into my tank last night. It's reading 44.8 ppt, clearly wrong, but its been consistent for about 12 hours. I think i'm going to just leave it in there a while and calibrate it after its consistent as many have suggested.
Set up a call with neptune to help speed up things. I also did it manually. But went back and forth through emails until finally got some answers through phone call and screen sharing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back