Salinity testers

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hay guys, seem to have a situation, have a in balance in my testers all have been calibrated with calibration fluid. Hanna is 33ppm,refractor is 35ppm, apex after cal in saltwater 34.8ppm,should I trust the refractor since there is no electrical interference or the Hanna calibrated with the 35ppm fluid it comes with. it seems the Hanna is way off thanks guys…

Last edited:

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough situation to be in, in regards to reef keeping. If I were in that scenario and was unsure of which tester to trust, I may consider sending off a ICP test.

I would test the water from the system with all devices at the time the water sample was collected for the ICP test. This way I would have a better gauge on which device to trust from here on out.

Just be sure which ever ICP company you go with provides a salinity reading along with everything other result.

Just a thought on it and how I would approach it all.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna was off too for the same reasons. I calibrated my refractometer to 35 and then double checked it at my LFS. Or you could double check with a fellow reefers tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna salinity checker and I always get 2ppt lower than every other tester I have. I have a optical refractometer, a digital refractometer, and the salinity probe of my apex (which I don't put much faith in honestly) and they will all give the same reading, then I'll check with the Hanna and it's always a little lower.
I still use the Hanna, but I always assume the water is slightly higher than it reads. If I need a reliable reading I use the optical refractometer.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not happy with the accuracy of my Hanna either. I bought the floating hydrometer from BRS and put my trust in it. Seems to be highly accurate according to reviews and my experience. And no calibration needed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not happy with the accuracy of my Hanna either. I bought the floating hydrometer from BRS and put my trust in it. Seems to be highly accurate according to reviews and my experience. And no calibration needed.
I've never had a floating hydrometer but I know they're the most reliable way to tell salinity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back