Salt creep on aquarium base. Has my tank finally come to its end?

Bubbles3660

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

My beautiful 75 gallon marine tank is 10 years old but I fear that it is nearing its end. Recently salt creep began to appear above the liner at the bottom of the tank - so I'm wondering whether the seal is starting to go and I should disassemble. (see jpg)

Question: is it possible to use aquarium sealant on the outside of the tank along the base to stop this? Or is my tank essentially done?

Thanks!

--Bubbles

salt creep.JPG

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would not risk a flood, look around the entire tank and see if you find moisture anywhere. If you do, I'd begin looking for a new tank ASAP.

OP
OP
Bubbles3660

Bubbles3660

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a silly question at all. That sometimes happens when I clean my tank but I haven't done that in a few weeks. The corner where I think the leak is coming from is a little damp at the base but there is no sign of it dribbling down from the top.

OP
OP
Bubbles3660

Bubbles3660

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your advice. Much appreciated. I am moving my livestock and corals to my LFS for store credit on Tuesday and then I will start to break it down. I've been into aquariums since I was 8 but this was definitely my biggest, best, and most challenging tank yet. I will miss it very much. :(

Here is a jpg of it at its best.

Cheers!

--Bubbles

Tank1.jpg

OP
OP
Bubbles3660

Bubbles3660

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why break it down? I think Petco is still running a $1/gallon sale. You could just replace the tank and move everything right over.

I could do that but a new 48 long would have to be custom-drilled for the sump with new fittings, etc. - which would take a couple of weeks on order. Not sure I could keep my corals and fish alive in buckets for all that time - we don't live in a big place. I would also want to swap out the sump which is also in pretty bad shape. And my wife is already eyeing the space that would be freed up as well. ;)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is drilled check for bulkhead leaks. sometimes water will travel around the inside of the trim and pool up in a place nowhere near the water source.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back