Salt mix to start up a new system.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4000L? I love fritz, Red Sea Blue Bucket is a big favorite as well, Reef Crystals by Instant Ocean is another option. It really depends on what you want to keep but I would start with using RO-DI water instead of tap water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt brand doesn't matter. Pick one that meets your wallet needs and tank parameters. For what it's worth, I use regular old Instant Ocean.....it's a name brand that is closest to ocean water.

It's the tap water that is bothering me. That's going to come back and bite you. Please consider using RO/DI water.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody I trust in the Aquarium manufacturing industry more than Julian Sprung. 2 Little Fishies. Accurasea1

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @redfishbluefish

Go with something you want your parameters to be. I tend to use a mix of instant ocean regular and Red Sea Blue bucket. I love it personally!

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is for a mixed reef including some refugia.
I suppose there is a difference in salt mixes specially made for to be used with RO/DI water and made for to be used with tap water ?

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4000L? I love fritz, Red Sea Blue Bucket is a big favorite as well, Reef Crystals by Instant Ocean is another option. It really depends on what you want to keep but I would start with using RO-DI water instead of tap water.

The salt brand doesn't matter. Pick one that meets your wallet needs and tank parameters. For what it's worth, I use regular old Instant Ocean.....it's a name brand that is closest to ocean water.

It's the tap water that is bothering me. That's going to come back and bite you. Please consider using RO/DI water.

Why should I use RO/ DI water? It is for a new tank which needs everything for installing live. I agree if it is for water used to top up vaporisation as tap water may add nitrate and phosphorus daily but for starting up, what could be the problem?

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt or probiotic salt is what I use.... incredible quality!

As far as I know probiotics are bacteria which are good for the health. I know that corals have a certain bound with certain bacteria in and on them and actively support bacterial growth of certain strains bacteria surrounding them. There is some research going on concerning the probiotic effect of some strains bacteria on corals . I have serious doubts of the effect of so called probiotic salts as it is not clear which bacteria are effective. And will the bacteria needed come to live again as probably only some bacteria which have produced endospores would be able to survive.? Anyway, the bacteria needed will probably be brought in with the corals as they are on and in them.
I wish you a lot of success with probiotic salt but I do not believe in it.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id choose instant ocean. Dont use seachem vibrant sea.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should I use RO/ DI water? ........

Because your tap water contains.....who knows what. You could be adding nitrates, phosphates, silicates...who knows.

Your salt mix will have the necessary trace elements to sustain life.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water for an initial fill is not going to be any big deal. You do not even have to dechlorinate it if you let it mix for a week. This would not bother me at all... and hasn't since I do the same thing.

I use Instant Ocean for everything.

The ongoing build-up from top-off is entirely another issue.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use a mix for RO/DI water and mix it with my tap water what could be the problem?
The tank has to mature a few months and needs a lot of ammonia, nitrate , phosphate and other building materials to install the necessary micro live including bentic algae, bacteria and archaea, to support the carrying capacity needed. I suppose that everything contained in the tap water will be used up and a lot more has to be added.
DIY rock on a PE tile support structure will be used for the aqua shaping. No live rock as biofilters (refugia) will be used which must be cycled together with the rest of the system as they will become one big ecosystem. That's the intention.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know probiotics are bacteria which are good for the health. I know that corals have a certain bound with certain bacteria in and on them and actively support bacterial growth of certain strains bacteria surrounding them. There is some research going on concerning the probiotic effect of some strains bacteria on corals . I have serious doubts of the effect of so called probiotic salts as it is not clear which bacteria are effective. And will the bacteria needed come to live again as probably only some bacteria which have produced endospores would be able to survive.? Anyway, the bacteria needed will probably be brought in with the corals as they are on and in them.
I wish you a lot of success with probiotic salt but I do not believe in it.
The probiotic is nitrifying bacteria built in yes, but the bacteria is in the water column and on the live rock once it is live, yes some may come in on coral but it's just a grain. Of salt compared to what's needed for the well being of a tank. The probiotic salt does a very good job at keeping nitrates extremely low. The nitrates are the hardest element to take out of a tank. So it's a huge plus on keeping trates under control. But it is just "a" way. There numerous ways to do so.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probiotic is nitrifying bacteria built in yes, but the bacteria is in the water column and on the live rock once it is live, yes some may come in on coral but it's just a grain. Of salt compared to what's needed for the well being of a tank. The probiotic salt does a very good job at keeping nitrates extremely low. The nitrates are the hardest element to take out of a tank. So it's a huge plus on keeping trates under control. But it is just "a" way. There numerous ways to do so.
How probiotic salt can keep the nitrates low? What it will do exactly what other salt mixes don't?
You say that nitrifying bacteria are build in, but nitrifyers are autotrops and archaea and are K-strategists, they are not able to form endospores and they will not be able to come to live after being dried and stored for some time.
Controlling nitrates is not that difficult using bio-reactors or-filters. With controlling I mean really have control over the nitrate removal rate and the nitrate level.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How probiotic salt can keep the nitrates low? What it will do exactly what other salt mixes don't?
You say that nitrifying bacteria are build in, but nitrifyers are autotrops and archaea and are K-strategists, they are not able to form endospores and they will not be able to come to live after being dried and stored for some time.
Controlling nitrates is not that difficult using bio-reactors or-filters. With controlling I mean really have control over the nitrate removal rate and the nitrate level.
Im not fully knowledgeable on the bacteria itself. Let me see if I can't get someone with more knowledge In here.@Perry , @Aquaforest

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have visited the Aqua Forest website.
Probiotic bacteria contained in the salt reduce the content of nitrates and phosphates, and prevents the growth of pathogenic bacteria In the marine aquarium. They do not explain how. They do not specify "probiotic bacteria".

Heterotrops can be added to the mix as a lot of strains are able to make endospores. The philosophy behind this may be that they come to live when nitrate and phosphate is available and take it up by assimilation into the biomass. Endospore forming bacteria are r-strategists, most prefer ammonia for cell synthesis and metabolism and use nitrate only as an emergency procedure, for staying alive, the growth rate is reduced when using nitrate. The growth will be limited to the availability of organic carbon. These bacteria are present in all aquaria without adding anything so why using so called " probiotics"?
How the growth of pathogenic bacteria may be prevented by these so called "probiotic bacteria"? Are certain strains of bacteria selected and cultivated and which strains would it be?
I try to understand how things work before I spent any money on it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back