Salt water contamination in city water supply.

sfg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’m in New Orleans and we are currently having an issue with salt water making its way up the Mississippi River. Once it makes it up this way it will contaminate the water supply to where it cannot be used for cooking, pets, etc.

Anyone have any input on what this would mean for my RODI unit? Would it also be an issue to use this water for my tank?

If it can be used should I be ok putting an output pre-DI to use for my dogs drinking water? Or even for cooking if needed? It’s a SpectrePure 5 Stage for reference.

Thanks

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they use RODI for freshwater in submarines. Maybe someone could clarify that for us. So I think you will be fine.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they use RODI for freshwater in submarines. Maybe someone could clarify that for us. So I think you will be fine.
Without being an expert, I am fairly sure they have some different kit than the rest of us :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I have spent the better part of 20 years on board large tankers working at sea; we take sea water and turn it into fresh water for drinking, washing etc.

We do this by means of reverse osmosis. Our large water makers produce fresh water by pressurizing salt water to around 800psi and forcing it through a semi-permeable membrane (a very small micron filter screen). Water molecules can pass through the membrane but practically all contaminants such as salt is left behind.

Whether the salt content will have any effect on domestic water makers, I don't know. The ones for marine use (such as the submarines) won't work well in brackish water as the pressure won't be high enough to remove the salt.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back