Salts

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that even though red sea salt is evaporated it's not real salt water. Red sea has chemists that add to it. All salt for reef aquariums is "artificial" in some way. Unless your going 30 miles out with buckets to collect water @Violetdasy Your using salt finished by chemists. I'm a Red sea fan and I've used this salt from day one for many years but your take on this salt is wrong and it appears you can't handle when someone disagrees. Also, randy might know a few things so I'd take this chance to learn from him instead of being combative. That's what makes us better reefers after all.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a geologist but from what I understand the ocean is salty because of rivers etc dissolving land mass containing sodium chloride over billions of years, so really all salt comes from the same place, kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that even though red sea salt is evaporated it's not real salt water. Red sea has chemists that add to it. All salt for reef aquariums is "artificial" in some way. Unless your going 30 miles out with buckets to collect water @Violetdasy Your using salt finished by chemists. I'm a Red sea fan and I've used this salt from day one for many years but your take on this salt is wrong and it appears you can't handle when someone disagrees. Also, randy might know a few things so I'd take this chance to learn from him instead of being combative. That's what makes us better reefers after all.
learning is what this sight is about, what you stated the other gentleman has already said, I understand where he is coming from. my righing may sound combative to you but that's not where im coming from. thanks for pointing this out. to be exact I believe the planet was covered with water at some point this deposited minerals calcium and many other chemicals, to me that says it came from the ocean. I like red sea over something thats not evaporated . also I have asked this gentlemen an question I am curious to hear his answers thanks again

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a geologist but from what I understand the ocean is salty because of rivers etc dissolving land mass containing sodium chloride over billions of years, so really all salt comes from the same place, kind of a chicken and egg thing.
what salt you like is all about oppio
and the volcanos, glaciers trees plants dinosaurs all have donated to the cause

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ,you have said that before, you say maybe, so your not sure?

I know what you CAN get from drying seawater, but not what Red Sea CHOOSES to use.

They obviously choose to use a lot less than one can get from it. Not sure why they only get a fraction of their salt that way. Probably costs less to use bulk chemicals such as magnesium sulfate than to dry seawater fully to get that material.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is no produced my chemists in a lab it comes from the ocean. that's the point

It is 28% from lab chemists, and maybe almost every ingredient except sodium chloride is added that way. That's my point.

I think it is a fine salt, but it isn't real seawater (IMO).

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been using red sea salt blue bucket.. I am thinking of giving Fritz a shot and see how that goes.
I've read some inconsistencies with fritz so make sure you test your batch. The blue bucket is pretty stable from what I've read. I like how it mixes clear so quickly. Let us know how you like fritz if you try it.

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 28% from lab chemists, and maybe almost every ingredient except sodium chloride is added that way. That's my point.

I think it is a fine salt, but it isn't real seawater (IMO).
if it were real saltwater it would not be dry .lol I have tried other salts but my fish seem to like this one best.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were real saltwater it would not be dry .lol I have tried other salts but my fish seem to like this one best.

True. Many members here at REEF2REEF use real liquid seawater. I’ve used it myself, but only to bring in organisms such as bacteria. I mostly used Instant Ocean.

Last edited:

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Many members here at REEF2REEF use real liquid seawater. I’ve used it myself, but only to bring in organisms such as bacteria. I mistily used Instant Ocean.
I would love to take it from the ocean its close by, but I am afraid of all the pollutants........

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest gets my vote. I started with red sea coral pro but alk was way to high and I switched to Aquaforest. Its been over 6 months since i switched over and im very happy. In fact I was so happy with the switch i just switched my 2 part to the Aquaforest 1+2+3. To early to truly judge but i have noticed colors are slightly better and pretty much everything seems happy.

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Many members here at REEF2REEF use real liquid seawater. I’ve used it myself, but only to bring in organisms such as bacteria. I mostly used Instant Ocean.
i love close to the ocean but that also means the ocean around here has what ever from the city so is it safe to use?

Back