Saltwater Novice...advice appreciated!

Roylt777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few freshwater tanks in the past and always wanted a salt water tank well here I go... I found this forum after I already made a few mistakes so all the advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to following and learning from you pros! This is my retirement hobby!
Question: brand new tank, what advice do you have when it comes to my first water change/cleaning??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Please tell us a little bit more about your tank so that we can better answer your questions about water changes and cleaning. :)

Clownfish.gif

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome ! For your first water change after cycling you want to do a big water change to bring your nitrates into line as they will be high from the process. So if your nitrates are say 40ppm do a 75% water change to bring them down to 10ppm.

The bacteria you built up from the cycling process mainly live on surfaces so you don’t have to worry about that. Just go slow adding your first few fish.

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Come on in, the water is fine.

1609529964318.gif

Re your 20g tank, normally I am a pretty anti-scheduled-water change guy, although I do them as needed when I siphon detritus.

In choosing to do them, or not, keep in mind your sources of pollutants (none right now), elements that will be depleted (trace amounts of calcium, alk by coralline algea, otherwise also none right now). When you so start to add fish and corals, for your size system, a regular weekly or biweekly 10-20% water change may be an efficient way to replete consumed elements. Read about hang-on refugiums. Watch some BRSTV videos on youtube.

good luck!
We love pics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had a few freshwater tanks in the past and always wanted a salt water tank well here I go... I found this forum after I already made a few mistakes so all the advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to following and learning from you pros! This is my retirement hobby!
Question: brand new tank, what advice do you have when it comes to my first water change/cleaning??
Get good test kit(s) and No API test kits known for false readings. Let the tests determine need for water change. I let fish and coral talk to me whereas if they look unhappy, first response is to check water.
Once there is a need to change water. . . . assure it is RODI water and mix to the specific gravity and temperature as your tank has. Once you do water change, see how long to the next one. Once you have that interval, you will have an idea of how often you will need to do this, However as tank matures, water changes will become less frequent.
Here is a chart for you for reference:

Parameters.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back