Santa Monica RAIN2 Algae Scrubber Follow Along

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with not doing anything chemical within the tank. If you do the lantanum chloride treatment for your uncured Pukani, I’d do it in a remote Brute trashcam for the safety of the livestock in the rank.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should not put anything(chemical wise) in the tank right now. If I was you I would go about it this way;

1. Either by hand or with a toothbrush scrub/pick out as much of the hair algae/cyano as possible. Do this with all flow off. Then do a 25% water change, try to siphon out as much of the loose algae as possible. After 24hrs change out filter pads/etc to new clean ones.
  2. Cut back on any type of feeding. Only feed your fish a small amount every other day.
  3. Do 25% water changes every 3 days, can do every 2 days if levels aren't dropping. I'm assuming you are using RODI water, a quality salt mix, and your tank is completely cycled. After every water change wait 24hrs and replace filter pads/socks/etc. I'm guessing they will be getting pretty dirty with you scrubbing/pulling algae every 2/3 days.
  4. Keep testing nitrites/nitrates/phosphates daily.
  5. If you aren't, besides the algae scrubber you should be running a quality skimmer as well.
  6. Cut back your light schedule if you don't have coral. Even if you have coral you can cut it dramatically back without any long term issues.
I've GHA issues on a tank after 6 months. I got rid of it within a month or so. I even had a cyano outbreak out of the blue. Sometimes it could be from a additive added to the tank. I swear my cyano outbreak was from a "bacteria booster" related product. My DT is setup with the same live rock you are using. Only thing I did before I put it in my tank was brush it/remove anything that look unwanted, dunked it in saltwater, and put it in my tank. This was for a brand new tank, don't put uncured live rock in a established tank of course. Everything will work out, I also use a santa monica scrubber but my version is the one that floats in the sump, can't think of the name right now. It's a good unit, took awhile to get going. Right now I'm at a point where I'm trying to get nitrate/phosphates in my tank as I have zero lol. You will get there just keep up the scrubbing/pulling/removing of GHA and water changes!
Thank you! At this point i dont have much gha left as i pulled all the rock 2 weeks ago and scrubbed it, but they are coming back in some places. Ok so i guess ill keep on doing water changes untill that paramaters are dropping???

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would keep doing water changes until levels drop. Really no downside to putting in clean water, it will keep driving those nitrate/phosphate levels down. BTW hold old is your tank? Are you feeding heavily? Just trying to understand why those levels aren’t dropping.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would keep doing water changes until levels drop. Really no downside to putting in clean water, it will keep driving those nitrate/phosphate levels down. BTW hold old is your tank? Are you feeding heavily? Just trying to understand why those levels aren’t dropping.
my tank is about a year 1/2 right now i feed about a cube a day, thing is i started with uncured pukani rock plus i was trying to go the no water change method which didnt work out for me i think now it just gonna take time till my rock leaches out everything and has nothing left. i was thinking of bleaching the rock what do you think?

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is about a year 1/2 right now i feed about a cube a day, thing is i started with uncured pukani rock plus i was trying to go the no water change method which didnt work out for me i think now it just gonna take time till my rock leaches out everything and has nothing left. i was thinking of bleaching the rock what do you think?

I would not bleach the rocks, if you do that you will kill all your good bacteria, and you will be starting your tank from scratch again. My rock was not cured when I started my tank. I used the live rock/live sand to start my cycle with the addition of Dr.Tim's live bacteria. I think you got in trouble with the no water changes. I've always been a supporter of water changes, on an established(no issues) tank I do either 10% a week or 20% every two weeks as a general rule. I would definitely cut back on feeding, go every other day, the fish will be fine till you get your levels under control. If it's a fish only tank go no lights for 24hrs, I've went 36hrs in other tanks to kill off algae. I really don't want to send you down a rabbit hole with chemical solutions/etc. I really think you will be best to do water changes, less feeding, stop the addition of any additives and maybe use GFO in a reactor or even poly filter pad(s) to really clean the water. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best way to get your tank back on track. Water changes, good skimmer, your algae scrubber, keeping clean filters/filter socks, good flow, and monitoring/testing should have you seeing results in a week or two depending on what exactly is happening.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this is the second round of growing after the first scrape, i dont know why it coming in this light color any idea? I did bring down the phosphate a bit with phosphate RX but not all the way my water still has phosphates for sure. im currently running both lights 21/3. Oh and im also doing water changes to help bring the nutrients down.

Nutrient levels:
Phosphates: 0.03
Nitrates: 30

20190131_101020.jpg

20190131_101025.jpg

20190131_101028.jpg

20190131_101034.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A phosphate number of .03 is where you want to be. You definitely don’t want to be 0. However, if there is still phosphate bound in your rock, that .03 number should increase. Keep an eye on it and perform water changes as needed to bring it down.

As far as your screen goes, how much did you scrape off when you first cleaned it. It looks as though you may have cleaned it too well. It still looks like you’re in the slime stages. Not to worry, your screen is still maturing.

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looks like slime stage. You are on the right track, seems your phosphate number is good and nitrates are getting there. I would maybe consider cutting back on the scrubber lights a few hrs. My understanding is seeing white on your screen can be a sign of too much light. I would keep up with the water changes and stay the track, looks like things are getting better from your numbers. Only thing I would consider adjusting is time on for the algae scrubber, imo it's on too many hours.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A phosphate number of .03 is where you want to be. You definitely don’t want to be 0. However, if there is still phosphate bound in your rock, that .03 number should increase. Keep an eye on it and perform water changes as needed to bring it down.

As far as your screen goes, how much did you scrape off when you first cleaned it. It looks as though you may have cleaned it too well. It still looks like you’re in the slime stages. Not to worry, your screen is still maturing.
no i didnt scrape it all off i left some to grow for the 2nd round, i was just getting very frustrated with the GHA on my rock that i wanted to lower my phosphates so i dosed phosphate RX which works wonders if you know how it works but i did not deplete it and besides that my rock is still leaching too. However my nitrates are still up there. I also got a sea hare yesterday and OMG this thing is amazing hes eating all the algae up when none else in my tank would touch it i have snails crabs tangs.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cutting back on your lighting schedule. Also, try grabbing some GHA from your rocks and rub it onto your screen. It definitely helps to seed your screen with GHA.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looks like slime stage. You are on the right track, seems your phosphate number is good and nitrates are getting there. I would maybe consider cutting back on the scrubber lights a few hrs. My understanding is seeing white on your screen can be a sign of too much light. I would keep up with the water changes and stay the track, looks like things are getting better from your numbers. Only thing I would consider adjusting is time on for the algae scrubber, imo it's on too many hours.
so far the scrubber didnt really bring down the nutrients it was all done manually via water changes and phosphate RX.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cutting back on your lighting schedule. Also, try grabbing some GHA from your rocks and rub it onto your screen. It definitely helps to seed your screen with GHA.

Ok i guess ill be cutting back or turn one light off.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while the scrubber is braking in and actually start having an impact at lowering my nutrients, i decided to take matters into my own hands, so po4 i was able to bring down no problem with some phosphate RX it is now at 0.03 and not rising yet, however my nitrates is what im having an issue with, even after doing a 40% water change followed by a few smaller ones and bringing it down to 10 within a week ill be back at 30 any ideas what can be the issue?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates rise that fast you could be over feeding, or a store of them somewhere in your system. Something like your pukani holding debris.

Palluk33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to start Cycling my tank I purchased rain 2, should I bring it online right away or wait

Palluk33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rain 2 question
Does anyone else have that problem keep the suction cups holding the lights inside rain 2 from sliding down? How do I resolve this problem?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s suction cups now? When I had my unit, the Gem5 light strips were siliconed in place.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back