SBB - Black Friday/Cyber Monday 900 WYSYWG Corals! 80% off $2500 in gift card giveaways!

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hammers and lavanders

Attachments

• 20231130_114150.jpg
    20231130_114150.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231130_114203.jpg
    20231130_114203.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231130_114233.jpg
    20231130_114233.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231130_114729.jpg
    20231130_114729.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 21

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If its .3 off from the jump then it is what it is...but a checker is a checker and it doesn't just vary .3 for every test you do with that checker. If I'm running 8.0 and it's 7.7 in reality...it makes no difference to me as long as it's consistent..which it is.
What I'm saying though is that a variance exists, it's in the manual, and if you are taking water to a LFS to test then it might not even be the same person testing.

For example, you always test the same way @billyocean , you might start by swirling the reagent bottle and then wiping down the cuvette with your dirty sock (if I recall you don't use a microfiber cloth), then spin or flip the vial 5 times. That process is the same so results whether they are off or not will be consistent.

If I take it to a LFS, maybe the guy does swirl the reagent or maybe he doesn't, maybe one uses a dirty sock and one uses a proper microfiber cloth which means there is a variance due to the procedure of testing.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm saying though is that a variance exists, it's in the manual, and if you are taking water to a LFS to test then it might not even be the same person testing.

For example, you always test the same way @billyocean , you might start by swirling the reagent bottle and then wiping down the cuvette with your dirty sock (if I recall you don't use a microfiber cloth), then spin or flip the vial 5 times. That process is the same so results whether they are off or not will be consistent.

If I take it to a LFS, maybe the guy does swirl the reagent or maybe he doesn't, maybe one uses a dirty sock and one uses a proper microfiber cloth which means there is a variance due to the procedure of testing.
I would trust the lfs way less than myself.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Exactly, BRS done a video on this, everyone got slightly different results. Some people were very close to others but still everyone sees things differently and different test kits can give different results.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, BRS done a video on this, everyone got slightly different results. Some people were very close to others but still everyone sees things differently and different test kits can give different results.
Wasn't that with test kits, salifert style? But even with the checkers, I could see the biggest variation being where exactly they fill water to on the 5ml white line on the cuvette and how careful they are about getting everything inside those stupid foil packs into the cuvette. But for alk there aren't foil packs, so probably less.

Every time this comes up I tell myself I need to find a microfiber towel and then just end up going back to paper towels.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from Orlando with my Damsels. Acclimating them to salinity. Trying to catch up.

@Kasrift are you wearing @billyocean dirty socks?
Yeah, he thought it would help his coral colors step up to Billy's colors.... Or, Billy's camera/photo taking skills

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just got back from Orlando with my Damsels. Acclimating them to salinity. Trying to catch up.

Lol, was just joking around. I hear that if you dip his socks in your tank, the acros magically change color.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No, what he said was he uses the dirty sock beside @billyocean bed to clean off his cuvettes. Seems like that could be a problem in waiting.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kasrift . You and I must be the only 2 I know of who use mircrofiber cloth for Hanna checkers tests. Plus, I also rinse out with ro water
Same here, but very true no two testers will be the same. Especially on the Alk testers I use. Hanna, Salifert and Trident. Trindentvis alway .4 below Salifert and Hanna is .4 above Salifert. Consistent that way every week. I just average the three.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back