SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 3, Guests: 3)

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like me, make so many changes in a short time. Period and you don’t know what
Had I not had to do massive WC AND had a toxin I would have done one then the other but since there was no way for me to really baseline/control and I didn't want to keep doing what I had been doing - I just said screw it and did both. Tank is objectively responding positively so far. Perhaps I was simply malnourished in the past and could have dosed more nitrate/po4 and seen similar results. Hard to say.

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I won my choice of one of the below. Which is the right choice, I'm torn. I have examples of neither.

Screenshot_20240508-224009.png

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I won my choice of one of the below. Which is the right choice, I'm torn. I have examples of neither.

Screenshot_20240508-224009.png
Two ways to look at it. Scoly for personal satisfaction, torch for fragging to share with friends or sell. Single polyp things like trachyz scoly or acanthos are for show/personal enjoyment. Not saying you can't enjoy a torch, just the hope is probably that things that can be fragged grow to do so.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Two ways to look at it. Scoly for personal satisfaction, torch for fragging to share with friends or sell. Single polyp things like trachyz scoly or acanthos are for show/personal enjoyment. Not saying you can't enjoy a torch, just the hope is probably that things that can be fragged grow to do so.
Kind of what I was thinking too.

I would get the scoly as I have several types of torches, but not that torch. So there would be conflict.

Either one is pretty awesome :cool:

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of what I was thinking too.

I would get the scoly as I have several types of torches, but not that torch. So there would be conflict.

Either one is pretty awesome :cool:
I'm pretty sure banik won a 99 banana or HG bright AF from shane and bought like 10 torches the same sale hahaha :upside-down-face:

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody make any dosing changes?

I've been doing ammonium for about 4 weeks and "the concotion" for 3 or so.

I stopped dosing aminos (from daily to none) and stopped dosing nitrate/po4. Stopped FWS and coral boost - F kz and their lack of transparency.

Since I corrected my tin problem I have no idea what's doing what, if the tin was holding me back or not, but I'm getting more fuller growth, i.e. existing polyps and new growth tips opposed to just growth tips; and colors I haven't had in the past on existing pieces are showing up (oranges and reds). PE is also through the roof.

I'm doing basically the same thing. Dosing nitrate/po4, FWS all on a doser and dosing "the concoction" or a version of (using PNS ProBio as the bacteria source) it 3x per week for a few months now. Been doing monthly ICPs...no tin issue but have had a elevated nickel which I cant pinpoint but its not at a concerning level...tank looks great. I have sack of Ammonium Bicarb I'm planning on mixing up and switching over to....current nitrate is 18ppm and phos is .15...I attribute this to "the concoction" which I have scaled back frequency and qty. I would like to bring it down a bit as I have a few tuffs of hair algae as a result. Also using the Captivate products making a nearly all in one trace solution as there are a few you cant mix.

I need to read a little more on the Ammonium before giving it a go...I travel next week so I figure I'll read up a little more and give it a go when I return.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing basically the same thing. Dosing nitrate/po4, FWS all on a doser and dosing "the concoction" or a version of (using PNS ProBio as the bacteria source) it 3x per week for a few months now. Been doing monthly ICPs...no tin issue but have had a elevated nickel which I cant pinpoint but its not at a concerning level...tank looks great. I have sack of Ammonium Bicarb I'm planning on mixing up and switching over to....current nitrate is 18ppm and phos is .15...I attribute this to "the concoction" which I have scaled back frequency and qty. I would like to bring it down a bit as I have a few tuffs of hair algae as a result. Also using the Captivate products making a nearly all in one trace solution as there are a few you cant mix.

I need to read a little more on the Ammonium before giving it a go...I travel next week so I figure I'll read up a little more and give it a go when I return.
Hell yeah!! The ammonium switch was ridiculously easy, I sat on my bag for a month before dosing it too lol. It's easier to mix and dose than the nitrate was. I do 5 10mL doses per day.

I've been running two concotions, one using microbacter7 (budget concotion) and then alternating with biodigest (that crap ain't cheap). Use AF np pro for enzyme, tsp of roids, 10mL of aquavitro fuel (amino+trace), and calcium carbonate.

What's mind boggling to me is if I put even a splash of roids in my tank po4 would go nuts. An entire teaspoon in the concotion which last 3-4 days and my po4 was .06 and .03 last two tests. Somethings using it lol.

6t4nova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
for those dosing phyto - how ya doing it? Just got a couple bottles and put some in the tank via syringe.

Should I set up a dosing station?

Last edited:

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those dosing photo - how ya doing it? Just got a couple bottle and put some in the tank via syringe.

Should I set up a dosing station?
If you were refering to phyto - I just splash an unmeasured squirt (phyto feast) into my cup with the food for fish daily, I've been feeding twice daily more recently so twice daily. Watch your nitrates as live phyto can consume them and has in my experience.

Pretty sure it has to be refrigerated, so perhaps you're not talking about phyto.

6t4nova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you were refering to phyto - I just splash an unmeasured squirt (phyto feast) into my cup with the food for fish daily, I've been feeding twice daily more recently so twice daily. Watch your nitrates as live phyto can consume them and has in my experience.

Pretty sure it has to be refrigerated, so perhaps you're not talking about phyto.
Thanks. Yes I was referring to phyto. Dang autocorrect changed it on me

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hell yeah!! The ammonium switch was ridiculously easy, I sat on my bag for a month before dosing it too lol. It's easier to mix and dose than the nitrate was. I do 5 10mL doses per day.

I've been running two concotions, one using microbacter7 (budget concotion) and then alternating with biodigest (that crap ain't cheap). Use AF np pro for enzyme, tsp of roids, 10mL of aquavitro fuel (amino+trace), and calcium carbonate.

What's mind boggling to me is if I put even a splash of roids in my tank po4 would go nuts. An entire teaspoon in the concotion which last 3-4 days and my po4 was .06 and .03 last two tests. Somethings using it lol.
Good deal...yeah the bag of Ammonium has sat for a couple weeks now...just want a stretch of time where I know I can watch closely for prolonged period.

Also planning to stop FWS after this run and just mix up the captivate traces...I've seen my iodine shoot up, as expected and a few other traces...

Cool! I switched my last couple batchs to the PNS...the zeozyme isnt cheap either...but you dont use much. I currently use the recommended weekly dosages of zeozyme/zeofood plus/zeobak/AF NP Pro/Coral Vitalizer/Probio S and reef roids or TM Phosfeed (which I think drove up my po4 like you) and benepets and a splash of RS Reef Nutrition and a couple ml of vinegar. I make 20oz at a time and does that through the week on my IM150.

I'm sure I am overcomplicating everything as I had nice SPS without doing any of this 10yrs ago but this is what keeps me in the hobby : )

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back