Ado

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lots.

1). Culture at 1.022
2). 14 hours of light is perfect for a 7 day culture cycle, some people say 16 hours a day though.
3). I actually culture off hours, my lights kick on at midnight to 2pm, this regulates the water temp at night. I found that if they have light all day the temp gets too high (I'm using the Poseidon Reef Reactors so it is an LED strip wrapped around the glass so your mileage may vary).
4). Nanno is the easiest to culture, so start there. Tetra is easy too. Iso is the easiest to crash unless you ask @ros3to
5). F/2 medium varies, I've found the Mercer of Montana works the best from Amazon
6). Use a salt with lower calcium. I started my culturing with Reef Crystals since it was cheap, but it has high calcium which causes the phyto to fall out of suspension faster. It still works, just need to swirl phyto more frequent. I use the cheapest Aquaforest salt now since their Fowlr version is around 350 calcium and same price as reef crystals when on sale.

Let me know if you need more tips or want to buy some start up strains for culturing.
@ros3to did the bags help with culturing at all?
Awesome thanks! I screenshotted this for later

I have a supply closet next to my tank room so I'm planning on creating a fish area. My goal is to breed ghost shrimp, Molly's, and have a shelf dedicated to phyto

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Round of the game
1.jpg

Participant with the first & correct answer will win this round.

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is that Iso is supposed to be the toughest to culture. I'm thinking you don't have enough light for the others. I use a light dampener for Iso since it doesn't like as much light and the first times i tried culturing it, it didn't take off until I lowered the light.
Funny enough I'm thinking that's my problem with the other cultures, I might add a white shop light to the others lol

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lots.

1). Culture at 1.022
2). 14 hours of light is perfect for a 7 day culture cycle, some people say 16 hours a day though.
3). I actually culture off hours, my lights kick on at midnight to 2pm, this regulates the water temp at night. I found that if they have light all day the temp gets too high (I'm using the Poseidon Reef Reactors so it is an LED strip wrapped around the glass so your mileage may vary).
4). Nanno is the easiest to culture, so start there. Tetra is easy too. Iso is the easiest to crash unless you ask @ros3to
5). F/2 medium varies, I've found the Mercer of Montana works the best from Amazon
6). Use a salt with lower calcium. I started my culturing with Reef Crystals since it was cheap, but it has high calcium which causes the phyto to fall out of suspension faster. It still works, just need to swirl phyto more frequent. I use the cheapest Aquaforest salt now since their Fowlr version is around 350 calcium and same price as reef crystals when on sale.

Let me know if you need more tips or want to buy some start up strains for culturing.
@ros3to did the bags help with culturing at all?
The bags definitely made things A LOT quicker when harvesting, nothing like dumping and replacing. No more cleaning the vessel. Thanks for mentioning them!!
I might also need to switch salts still using reef crystals since that's what I have readily available and didn't feel like buying something else to store. Will definitely try them tho.

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First round is finished,

Correct answer is "Black"

Winner of first round @Zero_Cool with points 10

Next round of this game is coming within 5 minutes.

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second Round of the game
2.jpg

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second round is finished,

Correct answer is "Pink"

Winner of second round @billyocean with points 10

Next round of this game is coming within 5 minutes

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third Round of the game
3.jpg

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone :), does anyone know which acro these are? Closest thing to it in the sale looks like the fire king but I can’t quiet tell

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 11

Tony Page

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third round is finished,

Correct answer is "White"

Winner of third round @Zero_Cool with points 10

Next round of this game is coming within 5 minutes.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back