Scaling Up: Coral Growth and PAR Puzzles - Navigating Torch Coral Placement

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The number of corals in my tank is steadily increasing, and since they're predominantly situated in the lower section, it's time to start thinking about moving upward.

During the initial scape setup, I didn't consider the significant PAR levels at the top, which hover around 350-400. Now, I'm uncertain about what to place there. While there's ample space for corals, I'm hesitant to continue with Euphyllia due to the shallowness of the area. Initially, I considered SPS, but I feel apprehensive about attempting a mixed reef setup, as I don't yet consider myself advanced enough for it.

Furthermore, I'm pondering the implications of placing torch corals at the top. Their tentacles may come into contact with the rocks, potentially causing harm or prompting them to close up. I'm unsure if this setup is safe for them or if adjustments are necessary to ensure their well-being.

IMG_6331.jpg
IMG_6332.jpg
IMG_6335.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You over think this.
Many people keep Torches on top of their rockwork, and from my experience they can easily adapt to 400-450 PAR and some even like it better this way.

You can also try some simple to keep SPS like bird nest, Stylo, and montis - don’t be hesitant to try them out, they aren’t as hard to keep as some think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back