Scared of Zoa

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Canadian Carl

It’s awesome that you’ve joined us here at Reef Excellence.

You’ll have the best tank in the street (& house ;) ), & your dad wanting a reef tank in no time with the help of R2R crowd who are all super friendly, super awesome & super knowledgeable, smart & clever,,,,, no bad or misleading advice given out around here.

C U round the Reef Carl

Steve :)

1580861220695.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome,with all said above about palytoxin ,be careful with all brown to brite red,wash hands 2x after handling any and all

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always nice to get a reminder thread every once in awhile about being cautious while handling zoas. It's easy to get comfortable and careless over time.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone.

Hers another noob question. If you're just doing water changes, and going nowhere near the Zoa but clearly handling water, do you still ned the rubber gloves / mask etc?
Some zoas are more toxic than others, but I've handled mine plenty of time without getting ill at all. But that's just me.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off: some have toxins and others don’t. So treat all like they do. I have taken down and moved a few tanks and moved, fragged, cut/glued handled etc. many and I’ve never been poisoned. But truth is I had no idea they could be toxic and I probably think I just got lucky. NOW I follow these rules when handling them especially when fragging:
1. Gloves (sometimes I hate gloves, and in rare occasions I may Handel without gloves but super careful and absolutely no cuts on the hands while doing it)
2. Eye/face protection- cheap face guard from eBay. If you o lot have eye protection- keep your mouth closed.
3. when possiable: cut/frag under water in a shallow container with tank water. This minimizes chance they will squirt in your eye/mouth etc.
4. Through washing of hands and equipment after.

this is basically when heavily handling them. The day to day, hands in the tank and around them, gently moving them, water changes etc, I personally don’t worry about them- but still try not to have open cuts on hands when directly touching then and always wash your hands after.

My Opinion:
the Toxin are real- and if boiled can cause real harm. If it enters your eye/mouth/cut etc. I’m sure you will be hating life for a bit. Can cause infection, illness etc. But seems pretty rare to me As long as you use common sense. Besides inhaling, I don’t think it’s deadly (don’t hold me to that- I’m no expert) With that said- I do believe there is a Hype about it that tends to exaggerate it a bit.

ClaysCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are not to be feared! Yours do look look like a paly. In the event you decide to frag them, just make sure you wear eye protection and have gloves on. I keep 99% zoas and end up fragging almost daily. Just remember that they do have a toxin, but if you take protective measures, you have nothing to fear! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back