Scopas Tang Tail Spots

Matt3586

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I noticed overnight my scopas tang has developed white spots on its fins, see the attached pic. There's none on the body and he appears healthy by all accounts. Swimming and eating normally.

There's nothing really for it to fight, just a smaller bristletooth, some anemones, and urchins, but could be knocking against rocks. Could anyone advise if it's ich, velvet, or just physical damage? Thanks in advance.

20231125_091325.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second pic for context.

We can rule out velvet. Tangs are prone to developing mucus plugs, but those are usually seen on the body, not the fins. Most of those spots are too large to be marine ich (but some could be). I'd say most of the spots are broken fin rays from some damage. Sand grains also stick to fish, but tangs have pretty "dry skin" and that is probably not the case here.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Matt3586

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I got home around 4 today and and found all spots gone, completely black tail. Could stress spots come and go in that short of time? It's just a rather strange series of events.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I got home around 4 today and and found all spots gone, completely black tail. Could stress spots come and go in that short of time? It's just a rather strange series of events.
Usually not, but maybe it was sand?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back