OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update! I added a yellow tang two days ago and he's doing pretty well. He's eating seaweed but isn't taking flake, pellet, or frozen food yet. I also put a few mangroves that have been acclimated to full-strength saltwater into the tank. Hopefully, the ones in the display area will grow nice root structures. There's a heat wave coming through San Diego, so there is a fan blowing across the surface of the water during the daytime. I've also added a filter sock for some better mechanical filtration.

20180722_122409.jpg
20180722_122445.jpg

OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, here is another update. For the last two months, the tank has been overrun with green hair algae. I decided to rescape the entire tank as well as do a huge water change to get rid of as much algae as possible, then implemented a diy algae scrubber and restarted vinegar dosing. If you have any questions or comments about my setup, they would be much appreciated.

As of now the only livestock are the Cortez Stingray, three mollies, two yellow damsels, and the mandarin.
IMG_20181129_072956081.jpeg
IMG_20181129_073011134.jpeg
IMG_20181129_073020863.jpeg

OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature isn't much of a problem since the greenhouse keeps in a lot of heat and the nights in Socal don't get terribly cold. It probably hovers between 72 and 74 degrees during the winter. I am running the heater for a large part of the day, though. I have an Aqueon Pro 250W and it's keeping up.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature isn't much of a problem since the greenhouse keeps in a lot of heat and the nights in Socal don't get terribly cold. It probably hovers between 72 and 74 degrees during the winter. I am running the heater for a large part of the day, though. I have an Aqueon Pro 250W and it's keeping up.
Good to know! I've always been leery of putting tanks in the garage because of the lack of insulation.

OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank material also plays a role. The stock tank is somewhat insulated but a regular glass tank would probably lose heat much faster.

OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, unfortunately I broke down the tank a few months ago. The cost to heat it during winter was just too much. Also, the filtration system should have been at least double what I had originally.

Jamesisjamess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, unfortunately I broke down the tank a few months ago. The cost to heat it during winter was just too much. Also, the filtration system should have been at least double what I had originally.
Man that sucks i might do something like that one day its a cool idea on paper id love to set something up one day if i do il comment it on the thread

OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if power is cheap where you are, and you're ok with running 400 watts of heaters during the winter, it's totally a possibility for you. You'll also save money during the summer. Also don't skimp on filtration when you're setting it up. It will always come back to bite you.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its an old thread, but did you have a skimmer in there? Most likely low oxygen at night caused your fish deaths.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back