Sea 90 natural salt

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Sea 90 natural salt from the Sea of Cortez got back to me. He says the salt is never dried out. This is not a new company, only new to the reefing hobby. They sell to big aquaculture facilities in California. They test it to make sure it has everything we need. Here is what he wrote. "

Thanks! We appreciate you and the Reef2Reef community’s interest and exploration of Sea-90 Ocean Minerals!

Sea-90 is produced via legacy harvesting methods, which uses solar dehydration to “dry” seawater from the Sea of Cortez without harmful artificial heating or other processing measures. Because of this, low levels of moisture do remain in the product, unlike other “refined” sea salt products (culinary grade or otherwise). This moisture helps to maintain all of the critical elements (macro and trace) contained within natural seawater.

We’re grateful for the wonderful testimonials and stories from customers who have used Sea-90 (in many cases exclusively!) to improve the health and vitality of their marine life. If specific marine life or tank specification circumstances merit incremental additives, we certainly understand that as well. Our understanding is that this can be the case with virtually all “base” Sea Salts. We hope Sea-90 can continue to play a beneficial role in bringing the benefits of all-natural seawater to the Reefing community.

Please let us know how else we might be able to support the Reef2Reef community. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Michael

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? It is never dried out, they are using special means to harvest. I know since using it my clams are putting on some very nice white shell.

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly believe they do not dehydrate the salt completely (leaving various magnesium and calcum sulfates and chlorides in the hydrated form), and it would be foolish to try. It is well known that not all moisture can be removed from seawater before various "solids" enter the gas phase and disappear. That is why it is not possible to simply dry seawater to determine salinity. A much more complicated process involving collection of outgassed "solids" needs to be performed if one wants to remove all moisture.

But no, what they are saying cannot be ture.

"When seawater is evaporated, the first salts to precipitate are calcium carbonate and some amount magnesium carbonates. Gypsum starts to precipitate at solution density 1.09 and crystallizes mainly in the... "

which has been known for decades

Either they add back alkalinity, or the mix has lower alk than seawater.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back