seagrass

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain to me what seagrass is? Now that my finances have turned around for even better, I'm keeping my tank and want to make it a little more natural for my sea hare; however, I'm just not grasping what seagrass is. Is it a certain kind of macro algae, any macro or a specific family?

Thanks

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an algae at all, it's actually a vascular plant. There's I believe 4 families with zosterae (if memory serves me right) being the most common in the Atlantic.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Grasses are similar to many freshwater plants as they have a root structure that thrives in the substrate. Sea Grasses normally are found in high nutrient environments. I tried to keep them once but I did not have success. I have done some snorkeling as well in sea grass fields and they are dirty environments in turbid water with a lot of detritus. If you are making a specialized tank for sea grass I think it would be interesting to see but in my last attempt I was also keeping a full reef tank in the system and I could not create the conditions that were favorable to sea grasses. Other macro algaes though I did have good success with.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all. I'll keep looking into where I can get some and maybe try a little plant. I have a dsb so the sand is covered, but may be slacking on light.

My thought process is that my scallops and sea apples favorite spot is on the left side of my tank, so it's become a poop trap that keeps accumulating. While I don't mind turkey basting it a everyday, maybe I could monopolize it and use it to create a more natural system.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back