Seahorse

scott9119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new 5 gallon flat tank that I was thinking about keeping seahorses. I have never tried keeping them because I hear it is difficult . In looking for some advise

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 yellow h.reidi ponies,you have to make sure you get tank bred or there's very little chance that they will eat for you,the tank bred aren't extremely difficult but they need fed almost continuously because they have very small stomachs....I couldn't provide mine with a continuous supply of food without being home so I gave mine to a guy that did have time to devote to their health....once I retire from work,I will have horses again :)

they need a slow gentle water flow and cooler water than most reef tanks,they also do and look better in a tall tank rather than short tank and need plenty of hitching spots,sea fans and gorgonea are a welcome addition to their tank,they do well with mandarins too but fast aggressive eating fish are not good tank mates....

you can keep some coral with 'em too,no stinging coral,zoas do good in about any tank,macro algae is also another good option with horses,like in a display refugeum,they are a bit more difficult but if you have the time to devote to 'em,they are amazing creatures to watch and make a beautiful display,if you decide to take on that challenge, good luck to you

edit: I just noticed you said 5 gallon tank,I wouldn't use less than a 30g for a pair,5g is a bit small

Last edited:

tamy C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seahorse..

I have 2 pair of erectus...I keep them in a 28 gallaon nano with a madrin. I feed them mysis shrimp twice a day. I have a 5 gallon refugium under the stand. I supply the tank and refugium with copepods and rotifers about 1 time a month. I had a cleaner shrimp on the tank with them however I would not recommend that because the shrimp had a tendency to bother a seahorse. So out he went into a 12 gallon nano. He is getting harrased by a maroon clown who is way to big for that tank now. Way too bossy....I also have 3 peppermint shrimp to keep the aptasia at bay. Assorted softies ( I am a huge fan) The sun shines in the tank in the morning....the copepods collect and everyone has a snack. I love my seahorse tank...I will not lie have lost a few however I really think it was because of the cleaner shrimp. My husband thinks I am crazy...:tongue: Be careful where you purchase your ponies....captive bred are the best. GOOD LUCK

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only seahorses that would be suitable in that small of a tank are dwarf seahorses. They only eat live brine shrimp.

Scubasmurf55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two hippocampus erectus for over a year. They were my first attempt at seahorses. I chose them after much research and couldn't be happier. I have them in a 14 gallon biocube. From what I learned the best way to go is tank bred. May cost you more but it is worth the money. They are raised on frozen food. Be careful of tank raised. That does not necessarily mean tank bred. Got them from southwest seahorse farm.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1374801101.453791.jpg

Scubasmurf55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reply to tami c. I also have a cleaner shrimp in with my two erectus in a 14 gallon. And yes he can be aggressive at feeding time but does not bother them otherwise. My seahorses will actually eat out of my hand so I am able to keep the shrimp from robbing their food.

Scubasmurf55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redtop03 knows what he is talking about although I was told that my hippo erectus needed to be fed twice a day as well. I do not have the time for that but tried it anyways. I feed mine once a day with my other tanks and they are doing great! I have even missed a day once or twice and they are fine. They each have distinct personalities. Awesome creatures!!!! Love them. Got them from southwatch seahorse farm.

LisaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything above is correct. I have 4 that are in a 75 right now but I will be moving them to a 46 now front soon. 5 gallons is really too small for anything but dwarfs and the care for them is even harder than the larger species... With sponge filters and live baby brine shrimp constantly needed.

Seahorse a are not terribly difficult but they require some special care... Less flow, slower tank mates, more feeding (I feed mine 3 times a day ). The problem with a tiny tank is putting an such a high bio load in it... Feeding a 5 gallon tank multiple times a day??? Imagine the water changes to keep that stable. Plus seahorses use more vertical space so a 5 gallon doesn't leave much swimming room. Study up some more. It's not out of reach but start with a bigger tank ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back