SEDRA 3500 not starting up….magnet gone bad??

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all....I’m having a slight problem with my Sedra 3500 needlewheel pump (for my Euro-Reef CS6-2+)

I turned off the pump recently to do some cleaning…I re-assembled it and turned it back on...but it would not start up…..I tried different outlets, cleaned it again and still got nothing. BUT..the only way I can get it to start is if I give the impeller a jump-start…I just poke it with a chopstick (don’t try this at home, kids!) and it starts up and runs normally.

I contacted ER and they said the magnet on the impeller may have gone “bad†(and closer inspection of the impeller does show some scratches on one specific side of the magnet) and that I may need to get a replacement, or just upgrade to a new pump.

So, before I shell out some cash to fix this prob, I figured I’d ask if anyone else has had this problem…..? If not, I’ll have to order a new impeller asap.

Tx

Zach

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnets just dont go "bad" overnight unless you applied a large electrical current plus massive heat or cold to it.

instead, i would look for rust on the impeller shaft which might be causing it to "hang up". or anything that that may be obstructing a smooth turnover of the impeller.

i've had other pumps do this periodically, and i just had to play with it by taking it apart, cleaning, soaking in vinigar, and systematically putting it back together to make sure the motor wasnt burned out or something was wrong with the impeller assembly.

any chance you have a spare impeller that might fit in there? it could be from any pump if it fits into the housing. just to see if it will spin.

i'm assuming you soaked the pump in vinegar while running, correct?

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would soak in vin and water and see what it does, But needlewheels put alot of stress on the magnets. They are not the most balanced for the pumps.
I would just change it out for a genx 2700 needlewheel pump. It will be basically the same price as the new impeller and get more oomph out of it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back