Seeing skeleton on my fungia

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start by saying that this is probably my favorite coral, so emotions are running a bit high. This morning I saw that an acro frag I'm holding for a friend that's been sitting in the substrate fell over onto my fungia. On the side it fell onto (left side here) it seemed a little droopy, nothing too scary though it seems. Later this evening I'm taking another look at it because it doesn't seem to have opened back up again fully, and I see little bits of skeleton poking out at the top.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case or if it is related to the acro situation, but all I know for sure is I see skeleton after a year and a half of this coral absolutely thriving. I'm concerned and am not sure what, if anything, I can or should do.

Params are:

Alk- 7.36, albeit it had dropped by about .4 over the past 2-3 days because of a line being clogged. Unsure if that contributed
Ca- 430
Mg- 1486
Nitrate- 0.5 ppm (maybe this is the issue? Though I have constantly struggled with bottoming out nitrates and this coral has never had a problem)
Phosphate- 35 ppm (same as above- repeatedly struggled w high phosphates, but hasn't ever caused an issue to this coral)

I have iodine if a dip would be a good idea. Otherwise I'm kind of at a loss. Hoping maybe it's nothing, but anytime I see skeleton on a coral I fear for the worst. Thanks in advance for the help

1692672278618.png

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely not emergency levels of concern, just trying to be proactive since this is truly my favorite coral I have. Literally planning on flying with it across the country for a full tank move!

I tend to feed roids when I do a WC, which I did yesterday. Figured I'd double up and spot feed some mysis tomorrow morning. Anything else worth doing?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back