Seeking opinions on DIY sump and stand for 90gal

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'd like some opinions on a DIY sump and stand I'm building for the 90 drilled tank I got to upgrade my 55.

I have an old tank to use for the sump (36x17x12) and want to use all the same equipment I have for the 55 (it's all oversized).

Attached is my 2d plan.

https://ibb.co/fvaD0A

JiYVS8FE72nNhpWA6

Thanks!
fvaD0A

keystoneckp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put the 3 baffles to the top of the sump. If it overflows at least water can get into the lower
water level of the return area.

OP
OP
W

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip: in the meantime, I've realized my canister is only 330gph and is probably okay for the sump, but not so great for flow.

Can I put an external return pump in like this, and have the sump feed off/back into that?

https://ibb.co/maweaA (like this?)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why are you incorporating the canister filter?

Also, I understand you are trying to reuse equipment you already have, but if you are making the sump custom I would find a way to get the skimmer inside the sump in case there is an overflow/malfunction so that the water would be contained.

OP
OP
W

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have the canister, have been using it and it does a good job, so why not; the skimmer is a hang-on-back, so want to just hide it.

OP
OP
W

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that I'm spamming my own post here, would any of these four ideas work?

I only have the two holes in the bottom of the tank and want to keep it that way- with nothing hanging off the back or sides at all.

piping4somebiggerstill.jpg

OP
OP
W

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I think I got it- would love some experienced opinions- will a 45 degree join to the main return from the canister work? I'd just have to tune the input stream to the sump, right?

upload_2018-11-8_20-48-14.png

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the diagrams and the external return pump above the sump, here’s what my 90 gallon looks like.

I don’t currently use canisters but when I did I used a maxi jet to power them, daisy chained together. Adding them to the return pump creates a ton of back pressure.

426B7DD4-50DB-40F1-AB8E-CAD57F5A03BE.jpeg

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against trying to tee the lines and valve control the flow between the tank and the sump. That would require balancing all the valves perfectly and keeping them that way. If you want to run the canister filter, let it intake from the skimmer section of the sump and return to the pump section. Run your tank drain into the skimmer section and put your pump in the pump area. The canister will pull dirty water and filter it and your skimmer will also. That eliminates the danger of overflowing your tank or running your pump dry if the valves get out of balance.

OP
OP
W

Walking Upstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redesign: drill another hole? Can the corner of a 90 gallon take two 1 3/4" holes plus a 1" hole?

I'd hate to screw up this tank.

upload_2018-11-10_3-9-18.png

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back