Setting up a 32g LED biocube and have questions

Mike O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys-

I’m setting up a 32g biocube and it’s my first jump into SW. I’ve been researching for a long time and have been doing FW for about 5 years. So far this is what I’ve decided on so far. I want to keep my hood on and not have to cut it. I’m curious about the setup in the sump area in the back of the tank. I plan on doing a mixed reef, starting out with softies and moving into some low maintenance LPS. Fish will probably be a pair of clowns and maybe a Goby/damsel/wrasse.

32g LED biocube
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
BRS 5-stage RODI
Marco rock
No sand-barebottom
Dr. Tim’s one and only

1st chamber-
protein skimmer (either the cheap coralife nano or a Hydor nano. I liked the ice cap nano, but it won’t fit unless you cut or take off the hood and I don’t really want to do that.

2nd chamber-
In-Tank media basket (filter floss on top, Purigen 100 in middle, chemipure elite in bottom)
In-Tank fuge basket (going to run Chaeto)

3rd chamber-
Sicce 1.0 or 1.5 return pump (going to have a split return nozzle so it’s not so powerful)

I’m curious if any of you guys have pics of a similar setup, specifically with the protein skimmer in the 1st chamber? And anything else you guys recommend?

Would the Sicce 1.5 with a pair of RFGs be sufficient flow or would I also need a wavemaker? I plan on using the stock light for now and upgrade down the line if needed. Also, what is a good, inexpensive Fuge light that will magnet to the back of my tank?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion. I would reverse chamber 1 and 2. You can always add more flow as needed later. See how the flow is with what you have and then make an adjustment. Forget all that you have learned with fresh water, for the most part, it will just be better for you in the long run IMHO. READ, research and read some more. The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium is a good one as well as Cycling an Aquarium. SLOW DOWN. Slower is better. Others will chime in and assist as well. When someone does make suggestions, I recommend checking out their tanks to gauge the validity of their claims. Then research some more about what they suggest. Make a decision based on the general consensus and what you are trying to accomplish and move forward. Tinker less and keep things steady as you progress. Make changes slowly and over time. That is all I have for you ATM.

JVan82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dead set on the BC32? I only ask cause that's the tank I started with and it lasted about a yr before I out grew it. I had removed the top (temp was always too high) ran the intank media and fuge in chamber 2, I ran the cobalt 1200 pump, I'm not sure the sicce pumps will fit, it's small back there. I can check for you as I have a 1.0 and 0.5s laying around. Just something to think about.

UPDATE:
So the media rack wont fit in chamber 1, it may if you trim the plastic rim. The 1.0 will fit, the 1.5 might, but it will be very tight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike O

Mike O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dead set on the BC32? I only ask cause that's the tank I started with and it lasted about a yr before I out grew it. I had removed the top (temp was always too high) ran the intank media and fuge in chamber 2, I ran the cobalt 1200 pump, I'm not sure the sicce pumps will fit, it's small back there. I can check for you as I have a 1.0 and 0.5s laying around. Just something to think about.

UPDATE:
So the media rack wont fit in chamber 1, it may if you trim the plastic rim. The 1.0 will fit, the 1.5 might, but it will be very tight.

I already have the biocube 32. I’m starting with this, but this will ultimately be my QT, as I also have a 125g that I’m waiting to start as it’s exponentially more expensive

SPLASH!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BC32 as well and I am a big fan of that tank. I have had it up for two years now. It has let me learn a lot about this hobby. I started with the stock pump, media rack, and coralife skimmer. The coralife skimmer is finicky, but does decent when dialed in. I eventually upgraded the media racks to the InTank media and Fuge racks. I paired the Fuge rack with the innovative marine chaetoMax light and saw good growth. This set up did not last long as I like to tinker and it could not support my bio load. So I cut a slot in the lid and added an over flow in the third chamber. I now have a Bashsea Mano sump with a sicce 1.5 pump. I plan to add an aquamaxx was-1 skimmer to the sump as well. Hope this helps. Again

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this tanks amazing with this.....

Icecap nano slimmer in chamber 2 next to the intank media basket. Sicce 1.5 return pump and a icecap gyre 1k.

OP
OP
Mike O

Mike O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Icecap nano slimmer in chamber 2 next to the intank media basket. Sicce 1.5 return pump and a icecap gyre 1k.
I’m doing a fishless cycle right now. I’m going with the IM MightyJet DC pump over the Sicce 1.5 because I can stop it for feeding. I’m going with the IceCap 1k gyre. I don’t have the protein skimmer in yet, that will be the last thing to get going once I add livestock

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please get a fish guard from intank aquatics for your BC32. When the hood is closed, there is a 1/2 inch gap between the tank and the rear compartments that fish can jump through. I never thought to purchase one of these guards, and tonight my first ever fish, a snowflake clown, died when she jumped through that gap and landed on top of the media tower.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Icecap 50 Nano skit very reliable and easy to maintain. Media basket tight fit but doable. It offers needed biological filtration

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bio cube 32 for 3 years and never ran a skimmer - only a media rack with carbon, rust every now and then when needed and live rock rubble. I had live rock and live sand.

I also used pollyfill (inside of pillow) on the top of the media rack instead of the stuff that came with the bio cube. I just replaced it once a day.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on Amazon, there is an inexpensive Chinese air powered skimmer that will fit perfect.

Sealovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please get a fish guard from intank aquatics for your BC32. When the hood is closed, there is a 1/2 inch gap between the tank and the rear compartments that fish can jump through. I never thought to purchase one of these guards, and tonight my first ever fish, a snowflake clown, died when she jumped through that gap and landed on top of the media tower.
I found this out the hard way as well when my black edge moray jumped out the back while I was at work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back