Setting up a new tank... first time

schedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am a beginner setting up my first saltwater tank. I have a 56 gallon c tank to use for this. I would eventually like to have a sump system for this in the basement but the cost of new equipment is a daunting prospect. I would rather buy this system used off c-list to save some money.
First question: Am I asking for trouble with used stuff? is there a danger that the used equipment is somehow contaminated?
Second: Can I start off with HOB filter and skimmer and get by for a while that route untill I find suitable sump equipment? I would be adding a power head also to ensure enough water movement.
Thanks

shovelhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak used equipment in vinegar and water to clean it. Hang on back equipment will be fine. Research(google) things and be patient is key.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ second that, vinegar will clean used equipment nicely.
With HOB filtration you kind of limited but it can be done.
With a little more water change than normal and testing your water on a regular schedule you should be fine.
Of course a sump is always better.
Check your seams from the tank pretty good upon buying and ask if they can fill the tank up with water when it's empty to make sure no leaks.

OP
OP
S

schedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. I am definitely stuck using hob equipment at this point.
Can you suggest a decent hob filter setup that you know works well?
I am content doing frequent testing and water changes in the beginning.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. I am definitely stuck using hob equipment at this point.
Can you suggest a decent hob filter setup that you know works well?
I am content doing frequent testing and water changes in the beginning.

In order to give you the right advice we like to see a picture of the setup if possible.

OP
OP
S

schedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank (using my pbone) hope this works...
0207160954.jpg

OP
OP
S

schedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that! I've been reading a lot on here and consulting my lfs too. I'm looking for components That others have used successfully. There's a lot to this hobby! I'm having fun with it already just thinking about how my setup is going to be.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^^^ that's right^^^^^^^ browse this forum a LOT on how to tackle this hobby.
As I said a HOB filter would work but you going to spent money that you could save and get yourself a sump and do it the right way the first time.
It doesn't have to be a custom sump but you can build one out of a 20G long tank.
I assume the light is a stock light that came with the tank and might be in high % not enough to illuminate this tank and especially not enough for corals.
With a some sort of wave maker, heater, HOB, new light and a HOB skimmer your nice tank is going to look busy and not attractive.
Your new in this hobby, take your time, do research and all that will pay off long term.
There are members here that did there research for months before they ever filled their tank with water and they are now glad they did and there are that didn't and now wish they did.
Ppl tell me that I make a BAD LFS owner as I give advise at first before I tell you what to buy and no I don't own a LFS.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back