Shark egg questions

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.
I hatched a bamboo shark egg many years ago but have forgotten so much about it - just picked up another one today because I loved the experience - it was so rewarding and exciting. I do remember that it was very hard to get him to eat at first and finally found that it would eat squid or octopus but I can't remember which one! Anyone have experience with which one the sharks prefer or is it an individual preference thing? My LFS had one hatch about the same time as mine and since his wouldn't eat I brought some of my food in and VOILA - it started eating!

Anyway, my first question is: is there a way to safely clean the egg a little? I remember last time around I was able to shine a light on it and watch the growth and progress but the one I picked up today? There's no way I can see anything in there and one side of the egg is covered with fluffy, yucky stuff. I read that someone used a razor blade to scrape the outside of the egg..... does that sound safe or acceptable?
Sue

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hatched about 10 bamboo sharks and almost all of them I've got to eat LRS very well within the first few days, key thing is they really seemed to only go for it if it was still mostly frozen and if I fed it by hand and brought it too them. Usually fed the other fish first to keep them away and the sharks started to smell it after a few minutes. I think LRS as squid in it but I could be totally wrong.

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hatched about 10 bamboo sharks and almost all of them I've got to eat LRS very well within the first few days, key thing is they really seemed to only go for it if it was still mostly frozen and if I fed it by hand and brought it too them. Usually fed the other fish first to keep them away and the sharks started to smell it after a few minutes. I think LRS as squid in it but I could be totally wrong.
Watching the little guy swim around in there is super cool but I personally wouldn't do anything more than a gentle toothbrush, someone else may know a better trick.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the little guy swim around in there is super cool but I personally wouldn't do anything more than a gentle toothbrush, someone else may know a better trick.
Wow, I've been doing this for about 10 years but have never heard of or seen LRS. I've been feeding Rod's for a few years and the fish love but yes, it is messy. My LFS now sells 3 or 4 different versions of Rod's foods so they are really expanding. I'm going to ask for/look for LRS - thanks!
Sue

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, me again. The above-mentioned bamboo shark died in his egg! I have no idea why but I guess it happens. After two days of confirming that there was absolutely no movement I cut it open, and there was his seemingly fully-formed body, no egg sac, but he was dead. Very sad experience.

I had my LFS order me another one and that's been in my tank since March 22. I check him daily and he's very large, really no room for him to move at all anymore and I can't see any sign of an egg sac. I'm tempted to cut him out because I'm paranoid of having another die in the egg, but I don't want to risk his chances of survival if he's really not ready yet.

I've seen YouTube videos of people cutting them out but I have no idea if those poor things survived - there's very rarely an update.

To cut him out soon or keep waiting and hope I don't have a repeat of the last one?
Sue

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never hatched an egg as I've read the mortality rate is pretty high. However, I now have 3 super healthy sharks from @Crazysharklady that she hatched from eggs so she might be able to help.
I guess I got lucky because I hatched one back in 2016, first try. Came out on it's own, finally got it to eat, and had it for about a year before it got too large and had to sell it. Thanks for the tip, hopefully she'll stop by or I'll go try to message her.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess I got lucky because I hatched one back in 2016, first try. Came out on it's own, finally got it to eat, and had it for about a year before it got too large and had to sell it. Thanks for the tip, hopefully she'll stop by or I'll go try to message her.
Yeah they get large. I assume it's a brown banded bamboo shark as those are the only eggs that I ever see for sale anymore. They can get 3'+ in captivity. Should have a 360 gallon at the minimum to keep a fully grown specimen.

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, me again. The above-mentioned bamboo shark died in his egg! I have no idea why but I guess it happens. After two days of confirming that there was absolutely no movement I cut it open, and there was his seemingly fully-formed body, no egg sac, but he was dead. Very sad experience.

I had my LFS order me another one and that's been in my tank since March 22. I check him daily and he's very large, really no room for him to move at all anymore and I can't see any sign of an egg sac. I'm tempted to cut him out because I'm paranoid of having another die in the egg, but I don't want to risk his chances of survival if he's really not ready yet.

I've seen YouTube videos of people cutting them out but I have no idea if those poor things survived - there's very rarely an update.

To cut him out soon or keep waiting and hope I don't have a repeat of the last one?
Sue
In all the times I've cut open eggs I've had good luck going to early rather than waiting. If you can't see the yok then go for it. Even if he has a tiny one but is basically formed, he will do just fine.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the times I've cut open eggs I've had good luck going to early rather than waiting. If you can't see the yok then go for it. Even if he has a tiny one but is basically formed, he will do just fine.
Thanks, then maybe tomorrow.... I didn't see any movement when I checked a few minutes ago but it might be that he doesn't have much room to move anymore. I'll get in there with my underwater flashlight and examine more closely before deciding to make the cut. Just don't wanna lose him but it's a gamble if I cut the egg and it's a gamble if I leave him in there in distress.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 48 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back