Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures and explanatory notes on the life support and general equipment @Janci

This is the complete system including black cabinet to the side.

IMG_0022.jpg

Well what’s inside said black cabinet I here you say......

All sorts! Lol

IMG_0023.jpg

At the back of the cabinet, screwed to a wooden panel is the Apex system with various modules.

You can see what’s in the cabinet including dried foods, dosing containers, glass clothes and scrapers, refractometer etc. Did I mention nest of wires!

The following is a picture of the Kamoer doser, temperature controller and Tunze Osmolator ATO and a very good algae clip I purchased. You can also see the Apex and ‘wiring looms’ as well!

IMG_0024.jpg

The following is the power centre with large ATO reservoir underneath which hold 90-100 litres of RODI water and will last around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. This is used by the Tunze and their is also around 5 days in the rear of the tank via the built in float ATO system which will cut in if the Tunze fails or runs out of water.

5B826B90-F924-446B-95A6-A3D70E9FDA1C.jpeg

And now the sump

IMG_0002.jpg

I’ve shown this picture before but basically
Bottom left - Seachem Matrix bags x 6 litres and a marine pure block. DD UV-C steriliser at the back and deltec FR509 rhowaphos reactor fed from the return pump.

Back middle is the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer, with a large skimmate container (ex wine/grape juice container!) which will last easy 2 weeks provided the skimmer doesn’t ‘freak out’. This container is inside the sump so in the event of overflow it will just run back into the sump.

Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason.

Underneath is are mesh bags of Red Sea activated carbon and Purigen, along with some more Martrix.

I have also added 2 lots of filter floss which has made a great deal of difference in terms of mechanical filtration, in particular keeping the deltec reactor clear of debris from the main pump. I just change it every week or so and it works a treat.

And then there is Apex

Those of you who have it will know the piece of mind it provides and what this system can do. I wouldn’t be without now.

Anyway that’s a brief explanation of the system
9A9ACBE5-4F7B-40FE-8C34-46448259A6AF.png

This was awesome, Shaun!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was cleaning the rear circulation pumps last week, can anyone take a guess at were the water level was!

Maybe I’ll be a little less laid back next time.....

10804406640_IMG_3179.JPG

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some new ‘coral scissors’ recently and as you can see they are very long at 14 inches

It makes it much easier to clip any corals near the bottom.

I have some Polyps which came with another coral and are starting ‘to offend my eye’.

It’s silly how some corals role over and die because they don’t like something minor, but the ones that are a pain in the bottom can survive a constant onslaught, from me! Lol

IMG_0025.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some new ‘coral scissors’ recently and as you can see they are very long at 14 inches

I have some Polyps which came with another coral and are starting ‘to offend my eye’.

It’s silly how some corals role over and die because they don’t like something minor, but the ones that are a pain in the bottom can survive a constant onslaught, from me! Lol

IMG_0025.jpg

Scary looking!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0025.jpg
I have a similar mushroom plague.
Hard to get rid off.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
The 650 looks great!!

Is your Regal Angel still holding it's mis-bar lines?

Freddie

Thanks Freddie

I don’t know what a mis-bar line is so you tell me!

And have you ever seen such a sweet Lillal ol fish! Lol

7585930032_IMG_0042.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back