Shortest photoperiod for chaeto

Fsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the shortest photoperiod I can have for chaeto to survive? I’ve got an ALR1 and a 20 gallon tank. I haven’t started using it yet, but am aware it may well decrease my NO3 and PO4 too much. So was thinking of only using it for about 20 minutes a day. Is that too short a photo period for the algae to survive? And can I light the algae without running water through the reactor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the shortest photoperiod I can have for chaeto to survive? I’ve got an ALR1 and a 20 gallon tank. I haven’t started using it yet, but am aware it may well decrease my NO3 and PO4 too much. So was thinking of only using it for about 20 minutes a day. Is that too short a photo period for the algae to survive? And can I light the algae without running water through the reactor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Twenty minutes is way too short. Needs at least 4 - 6 hours of photoperiod.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my reactor for 3 hours a day and the chaeto is thriving. I have to dose phosphate and nitrates to keep them detectable in a 30 gallon.

In my experience, you'll want to continuously run water through the reactor. Lit or not. I've accidentally left my pump off a couple times after maintenance and after turning it back on 12 -24 hours later, my whole basement smells like rotten eggs. hydrogen sulfide I believe.

OP
OP
Fsh

Fsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both.

I run my reactor for 3 hours a day and the chaeto is thriving. I have to dose phosphate and nitrates to keep them detectable in a 30 gallon.

In my experience, you'll want to continuously run water through the reactor. Lit or not. I've accidentally left my pump off a couple times after maintenance and after turning it back on 12 -24 hours later, my whole basement smells like rotten eggs. hydrogen sulfide I believe.

Do you mean you have the photo period as 3 hours but the water goes through the reactor all day? Can you control the speed it goes through, too?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back