Should I be worried?

joselmedina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this anemone about 3 days ago it usually inflates for a while and today it’s hasn’t inflated at all is this normal or what should I do. Mouth is still tight

FF86980F-0F52-4792-8AA5-9E006157FA62.jpeg 97F16438-0D8F-4121-8646-4BAE1E774D2F.jpeg 361EDBCB-9FE1-413E-8C5D-01CC87673295.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Should I move it to the light?
it will move there on its own. perhaps the clown is being rough to the nem and forcing it to deflate. or a new addition to the tank (chemical, fish, bacteria, etc) that upset it. use a little carbon to rule out impurities/minerals/pollutants in the water

OP
OP
J

joselmedina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
it will move there on its own. perhaps the clown is being rough to the nem and forcing it to deflate. or a new addition to the tank (chemical, fish, bacteria, etc) that upset it. use a little carbon to rule out impurities/minerals/pollutants in the water
I did add Pimafix yesterday and should I do a water change?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a been established for about 6 months
Something is wrong then. By 6 months the rocks should be green at minimum. As a bench mark I usually recommend owners seeing coraline growth before adding a nem. Something in your system isn't hospitable.

What lighting do you have?

What are your parameters?

Using RoDi?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change some water and get some activated carbon in there. I would not use any fungus treatments with inverts - I don't care what the manufacturer says. It is just too much of a coincidence that the pimafix came and the nem is not happy. This is enough enough to fix.

OP
OP
J

joselmedina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is wrong then. By 6 months the rocks should be green at minimum. As a bench mark I usually recommend owners seeing coraline growth before adding a nem. Something in your system isn't hospitable.

What lighting do you have?

What are your parameters?

Using RoDi?
I use rodi I will test the parameters and some hybrid lights

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rodi I will test the parameters and some hybrid lights
Need more info than just *hybrid lights* please. Brand name, settings, schedule. If using RoDi it leads me to believe your lights may not be adequate. Your rocks should be covered in one type of algae or another.

OP
OP
J

joselmedina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these lights

Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Aquarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef I turn on lights at 8am and turn off at 6pm​

Need more info than just *hybrid lights* please. Brand name, settings, schedule. If using RoDi it leads me to believe your lights may not be adequate. Your rocks should be covered in one type of algae or another.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these lights

Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Aquarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef I turn on lights at 8am and turn off at 6pm​

What setting are they kept at? Think I kept my black box lights at 20blue and 60 white.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That covers just about all the bases besides maturity then. I too had an awful time with nems. I believe at 9 months I could keep them happy and actually saw growth around a year.

Keep things stable, ensure parameters are good and let the nem be. Any attempt to move will likely cause further stress. This includes feeding also. Give it at least a couple weeks before you even try. Even then, don't force it. Nems get everything they need from their environment and the photosynthesis of their zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
J

joselmedina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That covers just about all the bases besides maturity then. I too had an awful time with nems. I believe at 9 months I could keep them happy and actually saw growth around a year.

Keep things stable, ensure parameters are good and let the nem be. Any attempt to move will likely cause further stress. This includes feeding also. Give it at least a couple weeks before you even try. Even then, don't force it. Nems get everything they need from their environment and the photosynthesis of their zooxanthellae.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to point out that nems are animals not corals. It will move and go where it wants. It’s not a coral that relies on you to move it. Nems can get injured if you attempt to move it

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update since turning off the lights my nem inflated and the foot got really big is that a good sign ?
They will do all sorts of things. I have a 13" rainbow that sometimes looks like chewed gum.

Things to watch for are deterioration or looking like they're spilling their guts out.

With the age of your tank it will be somewhat of an uphill battle for a few months. Focus on stability and ensuring parameters stay in ranges and stable.

Live phyto may or may not help, I've found it to help balance my tank out (completely anecdotal and my own personal experience). Also could add some rock that is more mature, helping out diversity and the intangibles that nems seem to need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back