Should I call the police? Do you know of such a scam?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's not and identity issue for you. That was such a nightmare when it happened to me. Dropped my wallet and apparently the fella who found it looked like me...... wasnt enough i had 700 cash in it - stole rental cars, opened cell phone accounts all over, tried opening CC accounts. Seemed like it was never going to end! Finally the dork rented and thrashed a hotel room in Newport. Made enough noise to where the cops were called and was finally busted.

Thankfully he didn't sell my info to anyone more tech savy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see how this turns out, and if the police have any further insights. Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's not and identity issue for you. That was such a nightmare when it happened to me. Dropped my wallet and apparently the fella who found it looked like me...... wasnt enough i had 700 cash in it - stole rental cars, opened cell phone accounts all over, tried opening CC accounts. Seemed like it was never going to end! Finally the dork rented and thrashed a hotel room in Newport. Made enough noise to where the cops were called and was finally busted.

O.O That story sucks. I too hope that's not what it is. Did you sign up for one of those credit watching programs?

The guy himself didn't have an insight. He also thinks there's more to it than we can see on the surface. He's going to do some investigation.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes before you even call the police make sure your identity wasn't stolen and then second call the police but who knows how serious they might take an issue like this, I know in NYC they would probably make you wait forever before someone actually shows up because they have other matters to deal with but being from NYC receiving an unexpected package can easily turn into a bomb threat or some sort of terrosim issue because they deal with that kind of stuff in major cities and they will be at your house in a matter of mins with SWAT... Sorry my mind wondered dang media
Just make sure it's not an identity issue

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Los Angeles.... kindda a major city. :)

I checked all my credit cards and bank accounts, just to make sure they were touched. Best Buy did tell me that the card that was used had the name Abraham on it, but I wasn't trusting something I can't see for myself. I'm going to sign up for credit/identity monitoring.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I live in Los Angeles.... kindda a major city. :)

I checked all my credit cards and bank accounts, just to make sure they were touched. Best Buy did tell me that the card that was used had the name Abraham on it, but I wasn't trusting something I can't see for myself. I'm going to sign up for credit/identity monitoring.
los Angeles is cool
There's people out there who run scams like that it'll be all your info with that person name on the card just in case they get ID'd they are covered. It's really easy for people to duplicate cards like that I seen a whole series on The discovery channel I believe on this exact thing

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just gets weirder and weirder. Got deliver confirmation to my email.
ups.jpg

I put the empty box back outside.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird!!!
We had once furniture delivered and loaded it all on the drive way as nobody was home.
When I drove up as my security cameras noticed high activity they ask me if I can open the door.
Told them to load it back up as they were at the wrong address.
Told them also that they had 30min time as I needed to back up my HD one ton truck, LOL.

I almost posted this as a joke but thought I would lose my status as a nice guy here :p ""Renee, that was a welcomes gift from the Reefsquad"" :p

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost posted this as a joke but thought I would lose my status as a nice guy here :p ""Renee, that was a welcomes gift from the Reefsquad"" :p

Between this and the lemon pepper, I now know who I have to watch out for.......

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it....Yes its legal...
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

I would call best buy and inform them of my intentions to keep the item, and let them know that you intend to keep any un-ordered items delivered to you in the future.
Next I would go to the bank/creditors - and get reissues of any debit/credit cards that your using - change pins - and passwords.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Buy already said to keep it, as it's been paid for. I'm going through everything now and changing passwords. Fun times :-/ I'm running virus scans and what not, but if it didn't catch it already, I don't suspect the same software would detect it now.

This sucks. I'm feeling kindda vulnerable.... waiting for something bigger.

This was sent in "gift mode", so that there's just a return label enclosed and no actual receipt.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not forget to change the passwords on your email accounts - hijacked email is a common source of personal information...

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends wouldn't do something that had me calling the cops.

.... and they are more afraid of me than that.

Last edited:

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who works for any company that has your info (which is a ton of companies for most people, every bill you pay and many of the stores you shop at, thanks to loyalty cards) could've copied it down, so I don't think it's especially perplexing that someone has your cell number. That info isn't as private as we'd all like.

I did read online about a package rerouting scam, where they interrupt the delivery and have it sent somewhere else, but it costs money to do that. I'm still thinking this is an attempt to grab packages off the doorstep, with this small item being a test before larger items show up. Perhaps they didn't count on you living in a gated community and couldn't get to the package.

See if you can sign up for text alerts with UPS. If you aren't home to see an email about a package coming your way, a text would be a nice heads-up. If you get home and find no package, time to check that camera footage.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my husbands cell or the house cell, that would be one thing, but I rarely give out mine. It used to drive my boss lady insane.

They came, Rayn, and are going to look into it. They'll call me if they find out something. They asked for a number to reach me and I gave them Greg's. LOL!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back