Should I get some females for my male seahorses?

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon high (tall not long) tank with 2 male kuda seahorses who are absolutely, without a doubt, trying to mate with each other. They have done all the rituals possible. They change colors drastically, fill their pouches with water and then do pelvic thrusts identical to the actions they do to give birth in order to deflate the water, they dance together, hold tails, etc.

I've read online these behaviors typically last 1-3 days until the female seahorse responds....only problem is they BOTH are doing these behaviors and they BOTH are males. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now with a few day breaks every so often, much more than 1-3 days.

My main question is, is it not healthy for them to continuously do this and should I get them a mate or is it okay that the two males are just effortlessly flirting with each other trying to make babies?? I don't know if all this stresses them out and if they'd feel better with a mate they can actually reproduce with or if its ok :( I ask a lot of questions about my babies but I just want to make sure I get this right as this is my first time owning ponies

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi td3025!

Its ok if you have 2 males. They do get pretty amorous with one another when there isn't a female but that is usually ok. I have heard of seahorse keepers who have had 2 males. Its more common for folks to keep 2 females since they typically have less health problems than males. If you get a female then both males are going compete for her attention and that could stress her or them in a negative way. (At least with their attention on each other it is positive). Also a 40g tank is better suited for 2 seahorses than 3. I am not saying that it is not possible to keep 3 but maintenance will need stepped up even more and your margin for error will be smaller.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back