Should I steer clear of newly fragged SPS?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to keeping SPS I was hoping I could get some feedback as to whether it might be wise to go for the frags which have already encrusted over the plug as opposed to those that are newly fragged...where I am (not USA) I'm pretty sure like half the corals are wild collected (legally of course) which I've heard can make them more difficult to acclimate to tank conditions... would going for frags that have encrusted be a safer bet since I'm not sure which are aquacultured and which are wild collected?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags that have started to encrust are a safer bet in general. You know they must have been stable and growing. A freshly glued frag might have been whats left over after cutting something up that was in the process of dying. And not all frags always survive the fragging process, if you buy freshly glued one you might be eating the losing ticket as opposed to the seller when you only buy encrusted ones.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If maricultured, I would think encrusted would be preferred. Maricultured sps are already a bit of a gamble so any leg up they have is a plus in my book.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags that have started to encrust are a safer bet in general. You know they must have been stable and growing. A freshly glued frag might have been whats left over after cutting something up that was in the process of dying. And not all frags always survive the fragging process, if you buy freshly glued one you might be eating the losing ticket as opposed to the seller when you only buy encrusted ones.

If maricultured, I would think encrusted would be preferred. Maricultured sps are already a bit of a gamble so any leg up they have is a plus in my book.
Those were my thoughts as well...I was thinking if it was encrusted at least I know it was stable in their tank for a little while

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine I can also look at the plug to see if/ how much algae has grown on it to tell if it's been fragged for long

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about getting this Monti but I've been hesitant because it hasn't encrusted yet... What do you guys think? Screenshot_2022-04-29-23-55-16-191_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its kind of a two way street really.
Most fresh fragged corals(2-4 days) can be more susceptible to issues BUT they also are easier to rebase and a lot easier to inspect for pests. I used to work at a massive aquaculture facility that most US people recognize and a surprising amount of people wanted fresher cuts even tho it was a fully QT'd tank. Peace of mind is nice
Fully encrusted frags look awesome until you have to toss half the encrustment to rebase OR you find that there are hidden unwanted gifts in there.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to keeping SPS I was hoping I could get some feedback as to whether it might be wise to go for the frags which have already encrusted over the plug as opposed to those that are newly fragged...where I am (not USA) I'm pretty sure like half the corals are wild collected (legally of course) which I've heard can make them more difficult to acclimate to tank conditions... would going for frags that have encrusted be a safer bet since I'm not sure which are aquacultured and which are wild collected?
I always buy encrusted frags. I've had bad experiences with freshly fragged SPS corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back