Should I try and replace my nuisance algae region with cheatomorpha?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can see from the picture I have grown a ton of nuisance algae in my fuge area and it acts as a refugium keeping the levels of algae in the display low (more like at a more management level) should I try and remove all this nuisance algae and replace it with say a Cheato ball or should I keep it as is?

26441A9C-3B6B-4D5C-8028-D85ACD4472E0.jpeg

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can see from the picture I have grown a ton of nuisance algae in my fuge area and it acts as a refugium keeping the levels of algae in the display low (more like at a more management level) should I try and remove all this nuisance algae and replace it with say a Cheato ball or should I keep it as is?

26441A9C-3B6B-4D5C-8028-D85ACD4472E0.jpeg

Hard call I'd say you dont wanna stir nuisance algae if anything get something like some peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs and turn the fuge into a makeshift cleaning station

When rocks get nasty put em in the fuge

But as far as export goes I'm sure cheato will greatly improve water quality and thing like ulva and bryopsis will appear less often bc it has to compete with cheato for nutes

But I'd say snails crabs shrimps and cheato and maybe some of those bioblock and some filter floss to let the cheato grow on then you can have like a rolling mat of cheato add powerhead then boom optimum filtration something like a fluidized media reactor with phosphate blocker and ike purit or rowaphos

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf were the first ppl to do something like this in there greenhouse dumps they would use crabs balloon mollies emerald shrimp to pick on rock work then count on filtration to get the rest

This was in the early to mid 2000s

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back