Sick tang

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone Id what might be on this tang? He is otherwise active and eating. I have been feeding him general cure/ focus on pellet food and soaking both nori and frozen food with garlic extreme. Thanks

IMG_9320.jpeg IMG_9319.jpeg IMG_9313.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that's tough to see under blue light. Can you try to post a video under white light? (YouTube sometimes works well for that)

The really odd thing here is that the lesion is on both the left and the right side of the fish. If it was on just one side, I'd say it is a minor scrape/injury, but on both sides, that implies an infection of some sort.

General Cure/Focus in food simply does not work - you have no idea as to the actual dose being given, and then, the oral dose for those two drugs is completely different. General cure is only designed to be added to the water, not mixed with food.

Just off the cuff, pending a video of the fish, I'd say this is a bacterial infection.

More history will also help - how long have you had the fish, any other symptoms? Water quality o.k.,? No aggression from tankmates?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Despite dark pics, I was able to see area which has bacterial lesions as suggested and likely post injury. Im in question of the source- scrapes or aggression.
What other fish are in with the tomini ?
Best treatment will be seachem Kanaplex in a separate quarantine tank and maintaining good water quality and adding aeration with air stone

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is in with a naso, cardinals, fox face and a melanarus wrasse. Water quality is pretty typical no3 10pm, alk 8, cal 420 ect. Could be they are a bit cramped right now in my small tank. I ordered a 150 and then ordered the tangs back in April. Tank was supposed to arrive in one week but is back ordered six weeks so I was forced to put these fish in a small tank. Thank you for the advice. I’ll put in an order as the only other fish med I have on hand is prazi.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is in with a naso, cardinals, fox face and a melanarus wrasse. Water quality is pretty typical no3 10pm, alk 8, cal 420 ect. Could be they are a bit cramped right now in my small tank. I ordered a 150 and then ordered the tangs back in April. Tank was supposed to arrive in one week but is back ordered six weeks so I was forced to put these fish in a small tank. Thank you for the advice. I’ll put in an order as the only other fish med I have on hand is prazi.
Cramped in some cases does not help with avoidance of injury. Ammonia level is one you want to watch monitored by a relaiable test kit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back