Single white lump on Midas Blenny fin

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of quarantining a few new fish for observation before adding them to my DT.

Among them, I picked up a Midas Blenny 4 days ago. It is eating well and is fairly active given his recent introduction to the tank.

It has single white lump on its fin, its been there for atleast 3 if not 4 days. I have dealt with Ich before, I do not believe it to be that.

Any insight into what it may be? I suspect flukes or Lymphocyte but have no clue... If its the latter, I know it is untreatabe will the condition spread to my other fish? Id be hesitant to knowingly introduce a fish with lymphocytis to my tank.

I tried to grab pictures but its challenging... I have a video but need to figure out how to upload it.

IMG-8341.jpg
IMG-8344.jpg
IMG-8337.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho is viral and most fish are asymptomatic. You cannot prevent lympho from getting in your tank. Luckily, it is easily resolved with the fish’s immune system in most cases.

Will it spread to other fish? It could, but the other fish most probably also have it. It’s not likely to spread if their immune system is strong, and it will likely go away from the blenny in a few weeks if it is lympho.

I think it’s lympho personally.

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be lympho, based on these pictures I personally wouldn’t worry too much.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow the complete QT protocol, there is a decent chance the spot on the fin will recede if not disappear entirely prior to moving the fish to the DT if it is lympho. If it is anything else, either the QT protocol will handle it, or you will be in a better position to diagnose

OP
OP
E

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it.

If you follow the complete QT protocol, there is a decent chance the spot on the fin will recede if not disappear entirely prior to moving the fish to the DT if it is lympho. If it is anything else, either the QT protocol will handle it, or you will be in a better position to diagnose

Pardon my ignorance, but what is complete QT protocol to you? I know different people have different approaches to QT. I tend to start with QT for observation without using medication as I live in Canada and access to medication can be a challenge.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not even about QT but rather environmental. Water quality issues will support lympho. generally poor water quality (elevated ammonia-nitrate) will support or produce these nodules. Poor diet or lack of will attribute to lympho. Fish should not be thin.
Some foods to feed are :
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine

This is not a flake or pellet fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of quarantining a few new fish for observation before adding them to my DT.

Among them, I picked up a Midas Blenny 4 days ago. It is eating well and is fairly active given his recent introduction to the tank.

It has single white lump on its fin, its been there for atleast 3 if not 4 days. I have dealt with Ich before, I do not believe it to be that.

Any insight into what it may be? I suspect flukes or Lymphocyte but have no clue... If its the latter, I know it is untreatabe will the condition spread to my other fish? Id be hesitant to knowingly introduce a fish with lymphocytis to my tank.

I tried to grab pictures but its challenging... I have a video but need to figure out how to upload it.

IMG-8341.jpg
IMG-8344.jpg
IMG-8337.jpg
I don’t think that fin spot is serious. I’m more worried about the number of Midas blennies that starve to death. I’m not sure what the issue is, but I see a lot of it here. This blenny is a bit thin already. Be sure to feed it multiple times a day (4x if you can) meaty seafoods like pellets, mysids, etc.
Jay

OP
OP
E

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that fin spot is serious. I’m more worried about the number of Midas blennies that starve to death. I’m not sure what the issue is, but I see a lot of it here. This blenny is a bit thin already. Be sure to feed it multiple times a day (4x if you can) meaty seafoods like pellets, mysids, etc.
Jay

Thanks, I will keep that monitored but for what its worth it ate like a pig the moment it was added to my QT tank.

I feed various frozen foods twice daily, hopefully he will fatten up over time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep that monitored but for what its worth it ate like a pig the moment it was added to my QT tank.

I feed various frozen foods twice daily, hopefully he will fatten up over time.
Feed more often if you can, these are planktivores and pick at food all day long.
Jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back