Six line wrasse died

Chany

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, about 5 minutes after adding 5ml of NO3:pO4-X to my 125 gallon tank to improve my phosphate and nitrate numbers my sixline wrasse died, is there any reason for this? The rest of my fish seemed a little stressed out as well. I am just confused as to what happened.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, about 5 minutes after adding 5ml of NO3:pO4-X to my 125 gallon tank to improve my phosphate and nitrate numbers my sixline wrasse died, is there any reason for this? The rest of my fish seemed a little stressed out as well. I am just confused as to what happened.
I'm not sure how that could cause immediate death, but I have heard issues with this sort of product reducing oxygen levels due to bacterial action, but that takes hours/days, not minutes, and if you have good aeration (like with a skimmer) that won't be an issue.

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5ml of Nopox in a 125G is about right.
Being dosing 10ml in a 180g for 5 years now.
Doubt the dose has anything to do with the death.
My condolences.

Not sure what died means....is that it was fine, dosed, and turned upside down....how long was he in that DT

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you add to the flow or sump OR directly into the tank?
NOPOX is a carbon source. It will fuel a bloom that bloom used up all of the oxygen thereby outcompeting your fish. The dose is done and the tank should be oxygenated once again. bear in mind that there is no shortcut to algae or Phos issues. Heavy skimming, reasonable bio-load and feeding, refugiums (growing and exporting algae), water changes and mechanical filtration always have and always will work for control as these methods work the most effectively. Carbon source is generally not a good idea in any reef tank - it is very risky.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Jay said, hard to see why that would cause immediate death. We carbon dose to manage nutrients as required. Very effective, just make sure to run a skimmer to remove bacteria/nutrients and oxygenate the water.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back