OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis.

What's the tank temp and what are you feeding/frequency.
Honestly, thats what I thought.
Lymphocystis.

What's the tank temp and what are you feeding/frequency.
Honestly, I thought that's what it was. But I am new to this so not sure. The water stays at 78 and I feed twice a day. In the morning I feed variety frozen and at night I alternate between flakes and pellets

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, thats what I thought.

Honestly, I thought that's what it was. But I am new to this so not sure. The water stays at 78 and I feed twice a day. In the morning I feed variety frozen and at night I alternate between flakes and pellets
There is no treatment for Lymphocystis unfortunately.

Your temp and parameters seem fine. Reducing any stressors and better food could help the immune system naturally recover.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you should move him to a QT tank so he can be away from any bullying and so it doesn't spread to your other fish.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no treatment for Lymphocystis unfortunately.

Your temp and parameters seem fine. Reducing any stressors and better food could help the immune system naturally recover.
Yeah they eat really well, and also, he's swimming fine and pooping fine. Acting normal. I thought that I saw the dots move but I think I've been staring for so long that it's in my head.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third picture it looks exactly like early stage lymphocystis. I had a fairy wrasse a few years ago that had it and this is exactly how it looked the first week.
Ok ill give it a few more days. Thank you. The other fish don't have anything. Wouldn't flukes spread to other fish?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill give it a few more days. Thank you. The other fish don't have anything. Wouldn't flukes spread to other fish?
I'm not a fish disease expert but I believe fish can carry flukes without actually being infected by them.

Lymphocystis is viral and can spread, although exposure doesn't guarantee infection.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're close to the same size yeah, but I need to take a better look. Can I put prazi pro in the DT. And idk if I'll be able to catch him again. It was crazy hard.
Yes, you can dose Prazipro in a DT - just increase the aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - this does not look like lymphocystis.
Here is the link: HOW TO ASK FOR DISEASE DIAGNOSIS HELP LINK
I dont think it's flukes either. Because they're different shapes and sizes. And are stationary. Aren't moving. And I dipped him in hydroplex and nothing came off or moved or anything. He is swimming, pooping, and eating just fine. Idk what else it could be. Non of the other fish have it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont think it's flukes either. Because they're different shapes and sizes. And are stationary. Aren't moving. And I dipped him in hydroplex and nothing came off or moved or anything. He is swimming, pooping, and eating just fine. Idk what else it could be. Non of the other fish have it
You're right - from the one angle (the third picture) - when enlarged - looks like 1) damaged scales 2) possible early lymphocystis (or something else) The other pictures IMHO - do not look like early lymphocystis per se. If you look at various pictures online of Lymphocystis (on the skin) - they are often quite distinct - and not 'subtle'. I guess I'm not sure that it's possible to determine whether 'early lymphocystis' on the skin can look like flukes, a bacterial infection, another viral infection, an early fungal infection, etc. etc.

So - IMHO - it might make sense to dose prazipro either way - since there is next to zero risk, and if it turns out to be lymphocystis (or something else) - you haven't really lost anything (except the cost of the prazipro) IMHO. But if it IS flukes - you have treated them. Hope this helps - keep us updated

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you first notice the spots? If it is lymphocystis I'd expect the spots to start to elongate outward after a few days.
They progress sort of like a wart on human skin, but more quickly.

As MnFish1 suggests, no harm in dosing for flukes. Better safe than sorry.
Is it possible to get a close up pic under bright white light?

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you first notice the spots? If it is lymphocystis I'd expect the spots to start to elongate outward after a few days.
They progress sort of like a wart on human skin, but more quickly.

As MnFish1 suggests, no harm in dosing for flukes. Better safe than sorry.
Is it possible to get a close up pic under bright white light?
This is the best I can do. I dipped him in hydroplex but nothing came off.

Attachments

• 20220626_152446.jpg
    20220626_152446.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220626_152400.jpg
    20220626_152400.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right - from the one angle (the third picture) - when enlarged - looks like 1) damaged scales 2) possible early lymphocystis (or something else) The other pictures IMHO - do not look like early lymphocystis per se. If you look at various pictures online of Lymphocystis (on the skin) - they are often quite distinct - and not 'subtle'. I guess I'm not sure that it's possible to determine whether 'early lymphocystis' on the skin can look like flukes, a bacterial infection, another viral infection, an early fungal infection, etc. etc.

So - IMHO - it might make sense to dose prazipro either way - since there is next to zero risk, and if it turns out to be lymphocystis (or something else) - you haven't really lost anything (except the cost of the prazipro) IMHO. But if it IS flukes - you have treated them. Hope this helps - keep us updated
I'm nervous to dose prazi in my DT. Will it hurt any inverts, corals? Also, can I just dose it one time or do I have to do it more than once? What about it killing my bristle worms and a crazy ammonia spike?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I can do. I dipped him in hydroplex but nothing came off.
So hard to tell 100% from pictures... Do they look like white warts? Still thinking it's lymphocystis based on your original pictures but these new pictures they look more like spots than raised bumps?

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hard to tell 100% from pictures... Do they look like white warts? Still thinking it's lymphocystis based on your original pictures but these new pictures they look more like spots than raised bumps?
No they almost look like blisters or something. And yeah they're a little bit raised

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
keep us updated

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will. Honestly, I think I might just let it be. In the nature **** like this happens all the time. He is acting healthy, eating normally. So im just going to keep an eye. Thank you so much for the help!
Do you have a quarantine tank you can move him to?

Not saying it's going to happen but I'd hate to see whatever it is hit your other inhabitants.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back