Skimmer Issues

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't fixxing skimmer issues the worst? I am at my witts end!!! Any HELP will be great appreciated... The equipment is a Pro-Clear Aquatics 75 for my 30 tall reef.

Here is the timeline: Back on July 23rd, I experienced a skimmer malfunction, where "protein" was overflowing back into my sump. Within the next few days, I did several water changes etc. Resetup my protein skimmer, which was producing micro bubbles and not skimming normally. Finally got the micro bubbles issue resolved on August 2nd and have had it set up since.

But now almost a month later the protein never seems to reach the collection cup (only accumulates around the neck of the skimmer). I have a spent days adjusting the valve from open to close and nothing. Any suggestions?

Here is a recent photo of my tank.
IMG_3808.jpg

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer over rated? It may not have enough organics to skim out of the water! Also check your air line tube, it may have salt in it blocking some of the air that the pump takes in. Also you can try cleaning the skimmer impeller

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cymaster007,

I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by skimmer being over rated might mean, can you please clarify?

What are the odds my water is so clean that there aren't enough organics to be skimmed? LOL it's possible!!

I have cleaned the pump and impeller, and inspected the tubing but I will see if they need cleaning today, I could've missed something...

Thanks for the advice!!

XOXO

Salty305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you feeding? are you dosing? or running Uv?

might not have dirty enough water, if so i would increase feedings. maybe try spot feeding corals or broadcast feeding the tank at night.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any algae so maybe there isn't much work for the skimmer to do. Is that a maroon clown and a blue tang in there?

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cymaster007,

I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by skimmer being over rated might mean, can you please clarify?

I meant overrated as for example putting a skimmer rated up to 500gallons on a 12g nano cube. It won't have enough organics to really use the skimmer to its abilities.

Any luck with the impeller and air intake hose?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Siptang!!! I was reminded, FB is not my only source of information. Plus I don't want to get too annoying on fb. LOL

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staley, you are never too annoying.
That's how we learn. Honestly I wish I had known all of this wealth of information when I first started.

sent from under the sea using my awesome galaxy note 2.

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cymaster,

The skimmer shouldn't be over rated. It was running fine for 10 or 11 months until the said malfunctioned occured. (The skimmer will skim anything up to 75 gallons, which leaves me open to the idea of upgrading in the future.)

As far as the tubing, its all clean and clear of any obstructions or gunk. Impeller is all clean too.

I have now noticed, the collection cups gets filled with (yellow)water, when I feed now!!! I have never need to turn of my skimmer when I have fed before. But now, to avoid any more skimmer headaches, its on off for a day or two after feeding.

In the years I have been reefing, never encountered this, or the years I did service either. Go figure.

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bct15.. you see a gold banded maroon and a blue tang, which I got when it was very tiny... I will be upgrading this tank soon. :wink:

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siptang,
I was out of the reefing game for only a little bit, compared to the time I was in, I even had my own servicing business. This essentially was my career by choice and pleasure, but then 9/11 happened, and well I had to seek a different profession. And took a momentary timeout. And look at all I forgot, or the new technology available... How things change in a blink of an eye...

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty305,
Feeding no more than 3x per week. And running a UV too.

I have noticed now, when I fed the collection up is getting filled the days I feed, but with water not protein... this never happened before.

OP
OP
S

StaLeY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update y'all, I got home today, and there was a little form in my collection cup. I am now leaning towards my tank might not be so dirty, hence why my skimmer isn't skimming!

Thanks for all your help and support.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back