skimmer leaking.....

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it. Where my collection cup sits on the body of my Skimmer it is leaking. The collection cup's lower neck sits down in the neck of the Skimmer. Each are about 5" long. But if I adjusted the water heigh in the Skimmer to make the skimmate alittle weter it starts leaking. So right now my bubbles start at the bottom of the neck and have to travel up about 8" before they overflow into the cup. I am not getting alot of skimmate in the cup but the neck gets real nasty after about two days. Any advice?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the rubber O-ring damaged? You may be able to just replace the ring and if not, i've heard of people "greasing" the gasket, but I'm not sure what they did it with. I'm sure someone can chime in...

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no o-ring. It is suppose to be a tight fit but there is like a 16th of and inch play. Don't thing I could find and print that thin. I am thinking about a rubberban...

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of skimmer is it? Do you have any pics of the bottom of the collection cup?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to get away with a rubber band... don't see why it wouldn't work. The only downfall of a rubber band is the low quality rubber used in rubber bands will break down pretty quickly in saltwater. I've used them to hold leather frags to tiles while I waited for them to attach and within a week or two they start to break apart IME. Is there a channel where wou could kind of countersink an O-ring? If not, and you're feeling ambitious, you could put a small channel in it and grab a ring from the hardware store.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back