Skimmer or no skimmer during cycling?

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to start cycling my new reef tank in the next few days and I've been getting mixed reviews on whether or not to fire the skimmer up during this process or not? Skim from the very beginning, start skimming a few weeks in, or don't turn it on until you add your CUC?

Also I have a few other questions, should I make new threads or just ask in this one? Thanks for any help in advance.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask in this thread, why not lol. I wouldn't fire up the skimmer i would wait until after cycling because you'll just be stripping the water of nutrients beneficial to the bacteria you want populating the tank.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it but turn it down low so it doesn't pull anything. That way it breaks in. If it pulls anything your cycle will take longer because it will do what it's meant to do. Pull waste. In the end, though it's your tank so do what you want. Should just use the forums of information not how to run your tank. This hobby is in a sense DNA, mine is different than yours.

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that makes sense. The bacteria need left alone until there's a bio load to support healthy growth.

Next two questions are on equipment set up. I just need a place to start from and I can tweak from there. I have 3 radion 30's and 2 mp40's(if I told you what I paid you wouldn't believe me) for my 165 gallon, does anyone have experience with any of that? What's a good height above the water to set the lights? I have a 30 inch depth in my tank, how high should I run those to reach the bottom of the tank and not be too bright up top? Lastly with the mp40's, my tank is 6 feet long, should I set them directly aposing each other off set them for the best circulation?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back