Skimmer Recommendations

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I currently have a heavy stocked 220.6 which is mostly sps. I have a reef octopus SRO-3000 but want to put up the refugium chamber in order to have a refugium with chaeto. If I do this my RO won't fit anymore so I am trying to find a new skimmer with the dimensions less than 10"×15.6". If anyone has any good recommendations for skimmers that fit that footprint and with a high skimming please let me know. Was looking at the Q-3 from aquamax or the eshopps s-300. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone! I currently have a heavy stocked 220.6 which is mostly sps. I have a reef octopus SRO-3000 but want to put up the refugium chamber in order to have a refugium with chaeto. If I do this my RO won't fit anymore so I am trying to find a new skimmer with the dimensions less than 10"×15.6". If anyone has any good recommendations for skimmers that fit that footprint and with a high skimming please let me know. Was looking at the Q-3 from aquamax or the eshopps s-300. Thanks!
Reef Octopus
Bubble Magnus
Ice Cap
Tunze

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for more specifics model names and how they line up with people's experience! Thanks though
I personally love the ice cap line. Ice Cap k3 series.
Reef octopus 5000 series

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for more specifics model names and how they line up with people's experience! Thanks though

They are a lot like a car. People will have their on bias as to what works best. Remember this is "their" environment which may not be the same as yours. So it is a tough question to answer. Whatever you do my suggestion is to take the time and find a couple to look at that will meet your needs. Today, tomorrow, and further on down the road (if you upgrade).

Example one of my first skimmer purchases when I started in 1999 was an ETSS skimmer. Built well, worked well, but required too much fiddling with my setup. I was never happy because I was always adjusting. I later tried the Becket mod on it which helped but still wasn't to my liking. So a bit of a wasted purchased.

I followed up with that by doing some more reading then making a call over to Jeff at LifeReef. Purchased a SVS2-24 in 2000 and still use it today. I've not seen any reason to change and it has worked across many tanks I've setup. Originally purchased for my 100 gallon, later used on a 40 breeder, and used currently on my 210 gallon mixed reef. I will be using it on my last upgrade which is looking to be between 340 and 380 gallons.

Look for quality of life for you, foot print, size, pump requirements, ease of cleaning, etc. If you can do that upfront I see no reason why it will be your last skimmer purchase. They last a long time when properly built and taken care of.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two 27” lifereef skimmers with Jaebo DCP8000 pumps on my 360 gallon FOWLR. They are beast and require almost no maintenance but they are noisy compared to a needle wheel skimmer. So it just depends if the performance is worth the added noise. For me it’s worth it but opinions will vary.

OP
OP
S

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Ice Cap k3 series

They are a lot like a car. People will have their on bias as to what works best. Remember this is "their" environment which may not be the same as yours. So it is a tough question to answer. Whatever you do my suggestion is to take the time and find a couple to look at that will meet your needs. Today, tomorrow, and further on down the road (if you upgrade).

Example one of my first skimmer purchases when I started in 1999 was an ETSS skimmer. Built well, worked well, but required too much fiddling with my setup. I was never happy because I was always adjusting. I later tried the Becket mod on it which helped but still wasn't to my liking. So a bit of a wasted purchased.

I followed up with that by doing some more reading then making a call over to Jeff at LifeReef. Purchased a SVS2-24 in 2000 and still use it today. I've not seen any reason to change and it has worked across many tanks I've setup. Originally purchased for my 100 gallon, later used on a 40 breeder, and used currently on my 210 gallon mixed reef. I will be using it on my last upgrade which is looking to be between 340 and 380 gallons.

Look for quality of life for you, foot print, size, pump requirements, ease of cleaning, etc. If you can do that upfront I see no reason why it will be your last skimmer purchase. They last a long time when properly built and taken care of.
Yup, this is my fourth skimmer, leaning RO but which one is the question... Hoping for a BRS sale this march on them and then Ill bounce on it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back